• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need infor from Indiana deuce owners

kadetklapp

Attention fellow Hoosiers-

Part of my research in buying a deuce is on how to properly register and insure it in Indiana. For those of you that did not put antique plates on them, how did you go about it? Not planning on generating revenue with the truck, but would like to haul stone and dirt for myself as needed. Would regular 7k pound truck plates be given or would DMV require something else?

Also, who here has bought a deuce from a dealer in Indiana? In order to make this process easier, I'm trying to keep my purchase in-state.

roscoe

I got my insurance through State Farm. Basic liability ran about $385/yr. I plated mine at 20K. Deuce is almost 14K by itself, that leaves room for 3 ton load. Duece is rated at 5 ton on road, so you could do a 23K plate also for more $. The 20k plate is $275, the 23k is $405.

roscoe

i have antique plates on mine cost 26 bucks a year.insured with state farm 70 bucks a year for liability
The lady at the BMV that was helping me said you can get antique plates but there is no difference in the cost. It just says antique. She even checked with her supervisor. It was the Auburn branch - home of a lot of classic cars - so if they didn't tell me correctly thats pretty irritating. I was conidering putting antique plates on one of my trucks.

I was told at the BMV that I have no choice on the type of plate being commercial because of the weight.

Last edited:

kadetklapp

I don't want bobbed truck. Must be a turbo diesel multi-fuel, prefer air shift. I'd like to have a winch truck, but I understand those are usually wore out pretty bad.

Things I'm less picky on would be preferably a hard-top. I'd take a dump or regular troop bed.

kadetklapp

I checked out C&Cs website, and I like what I see, although his prices are way out of my range. I'm looking around $3500-$4000 for a running, solid truck.

His trucks are very clean though. I might give him a call.

kadetklapp

As a fellow Hoosier but living in Louisiana there is a GL outlet in Indianapolis and once in a while Terre Haute and Evansville but those numbers are very low.
Indy does have the cycles of larger numbers similar to the other bases.

jimm1009 (formerly of Johnson County)
Well, I'm quite frankly terrified of going the GL route because you don't know what you are really getting (since I'm a n00b) and the red tape is horrific. I will keep it in mind though.

roscoe

I bought a extra bed and troop seats from him. Nice guy to deal with. His trucks always look really good - I don't know what he does to them mechanically though. A guy not to far from me (NE IN) just bought a pretty good winch truck out of Ohio for 4k. He had to add a heater though.

kadetklapp

Adding a heater shouldn't be a problem. Probably mount a bread truck heater in it if I can find one in 24v.

This is a budget project (lol, is that even possible?) so the initial cost of the truck is going to have to stay lower.

roscoe

Well, I'm quite frankly terrified of going the GL route because you don't know what you are really getting (since I'm a n00b) and the red tape is horrific. I will keep it in mind though.
I bought my three deuce trucks out of Sparta WI and drove them home. It takes about a month to get the paper work cleared and another month to get a title (FL). I haven't seen any available in Indianapolis for a long time. I did get 2 m105 trailers from there. Some of the private party trucks don't have titles yet and they offer to apply for the sf 97 after you purchase it.

Last edited:

Mike_L

i have antique plates on mine cost 26 bucks a year.insured with state farm 70 bucks a year for liability
The lady at the BMV that was helping me said you can get antique plates but there is no difference in the cost. It just says antique. She even checked with her supervisor. It was the Auburn branch - home of a lot of classic cars - so if they didn't tell me correctly thats pretty irritating. I was conidering putting antique plates on one of my trucks.

I was told at the BMV that I have no choice on the type of plate being commercial because of the weight.
Antique plates are an option, so is a Military Vehicle registration. But Indiana's STARS (registration system) doesn't allow straight MV registration, despite how the law reads. You have to register it as antique first, then MV. Once registered as an MV, it is registered for life but you still have to pay an excise tax annually. They bill you through the antique registration. Mine is $12 a year for a 3/4 ton. If I only had mine registered as an antique, I would be paying a plate fee also which is probably the difference tm america is paying.

I know at least one other person who has their 2 1/2 ton registered (as an MV) this way also. You pretty much have to educate the BMV offices on this process. My office was clueless that this option even existed until I went in telling them what I wanted. They had to research it (i.e., look it up), call Indianapolis a lot who eventually walked them through the process. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they wouldn't think you could register it as an antique either.

roscoe

Antique plates are an option, so is a Military Vehicle registration. But Indiana's STARS (registration system) doesn't allow straight MV registration, despite how the law reads. You have to register it as antique first, then MV. Once registered as an MV, it is registered for life but you still have to pay an excise tax annually. They bill you through the antique registration. Mine is $12 a year for a 3/4 ton. If I only had mine registered as an antique, I would be paying a plate fee also which is probably the difference tm america is paying.

I know at least one other person who has their 2 1/2 ton registered (as an MV) this way also. You pretty much have to educate the BMV offices on this process. My office was clueless that this option even existed until I went in telling them what I wanted. They had to research it (i.e., look it up), call Indianapolis a lot who eventually walked them through the process. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they wouldn't think you could register it as an antique either.
What kind of restrictions are on the MV registration?

kadetklapp

Hmmm, by MV I'm assuming you mean "military vehicle?" Well this is a good idea. Here is what the IC states on it-

IC 9-18-14
Chapter 14. Military Vehicle Registration
IC 9-18-14-1
Alternative registration
Sec. 1. A person who owns a military vehicle may register the military vehicle under this chapter instead of registering for a license plate issued for:
(1) a vehicle under IC 9-18-2; or
(2) an antique motor vehicle under IC 9-18-12.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.

IC 9-18-14-2
Permanent registration
Sec. 2. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the military vehicle under this chapter, the registration of the military vehicle is for the life of the military vehicle.

IC 9-18-14-3
Registration number; no plate issued
Sec. 3. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the military vehicle under this chapter the:
(1) bureau shall not issue a license plate for the military vehicle; and
(2) bureau shall authorize as a registration number the military vehicle identification number stenciled on the military vehicle in white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with all pertinent military regulations.

IC 9-18-14-4
Registration form and certificates
Sec. 4. The bureau shall adopt a:
(1) registration form; and
(2) certificate of registration;
to implement this chapter.

IC 9-18-14-5
Rules
Sec. 5. The bureau shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to implement this chapter.

Mike_L

Yes, that is the MV registration (AKA Chapter 14) to the Indiana Code. There probably are some restrictions; probably can't use it for commercial or hire with the MV registration.

I talked with the special registrations people in Indy once during the process and I think I remember them saying something to the effect that you can't use the vehicle for it's intended purpose. OK, I'll not tactically carry cargo or troops cross country, I promise.

With or without, for what I usually use my truck for, this suits my purposes. The biggest problem with the MV registration I've found is that LE isn't familiar with it enough. But, like the BMV folks, they don't deal with them often enough to know better. More often than not, if they see a deuce with US Army markings they will not pay special attention to it and presume it is "on duty." At least the cops I've talked to.

gunit

i got full coverage insurance from american collectors insurance for 96.00 a year. it has a 2500 mile a year restriction and the MV has to be stored in a garage or barn. they are in NJ i think. more miles can be added to the restricktion for a little more. ive got a 5T, they dont normally insure trucks that big but after talking to them abit they agreed. i put a 7K plate since its just for fun no work. as long as what im hauling is 7K or under im legal. would like to get with all you indiana guys if possible, im in indianapolis, dont know anybody else with these MV"s. just joined the local mvpa chapter.