• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M1031 generator wiring help!

tvguy

Need M1031 generator wiring & PTO help!

I bought an M1031 back in September from Ft. Polk. Truck seemed to be in pretty good shape other than it was missing the starter, the flexplate was pretty chewed up, and the wiring was a bit of a mess. I replaced the flexplate, bought a new 12v starter and did the conversion and to my amazement the truck cranked right up! I had a charging problem, but I’ve solved that as well. The truck is running and driving now so I’m ready to move on to the generator (it’s the PTO driven type).

A lot of the wiring related to the generator has been hacked or cut. Someone added a swith, and I have no idea what it's supposed to do. I know the TM’s are still classified, so I’m in a bit of a conundrum. I think, given the circumstances, my best option at this point is to simply remove some of the safety features . . . like those on the transfer case and transmission, and simply have a switch that turns the governor on. Thoughts?

If anyone has done their own wiring diagram and could send it to me, that would be EXTREMELY helpful!

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the diagram, but the nameplate of the generator itself could give a hint as to another way to search.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wish I had an answer on the manuals from JAG as I have them ready to copy to CD and send out to many who have asked for it. The manual is what you need it really has great diagrams and test and repair sections on the generator and the PTO.

1956_4x4

If the plate is still on the door to the generator panel, it has the wiring schematic for the generator. If you don't have that plate let me know and I'll do my best to get a decent photo for you.

Smitty

tvguy

Another question . . . I engaged the PTO for the first time yesterday. I took a little "convincing" (aka grinding) to engage it and seemed to spin fine. Unfortunately, now it won't disengage. I ended up disconnecting the cable and the lever on the PTO spins around about 300 degrees and then hits a "stop". Is there some sort of keyed shaft in there that I may have sheared?

1956_4x4

Another question . . . I engaged the PTO for the first time yesterday. I took a little "convincing" (aka grinding) to engage it and seemed to spin fine. Unfortunately, now it won't disengage. I ended up disconnecting the cable and the lever on the PTO spins around about 300 degrees and then hits a "stop". Is there some sort of keyed shaft in there that I may have sheared?
Is the shaft for the shifter moving or just the lever? I've seen the bolt for the shift lever come loose on these Muncie PTOs and that will allow the lever to move without moving the shaft.

Smitty

tvguy

I took the bottom off the PTO today and, as expected, I had a problem. Muncie calls this a "Trigger". I guess I'll try to call them on Monday to see if I can get a replacement. Has anyone ever ordered parts for thier PTO? Anyone have a "trigger" laying around they want to sell?

Attachments

1956_4x4

I took the bottom off the PTO today and, as expected, I had a problem. Muncie calls this a "Trigger". I guess I'll try to call them on Monday to see if I can get a replacement. Has anyone ever ordered parts for thier PTO? Anyone have a "trigger" laying around they want to sell?
I've had to replace two of the magnetic pickups and they aren't cheap. The cost of the trigger doesn't look to be too bad. Remember to replace the o-ring when you replace the trigger.

Smitty

tvguy

I went to the Muncie website and found a dealer just outside Atlanta. I gave them a call this morning and they had ALL the parts in stock . . . I couldn't believe it! I got everything put back in this afternoon including the shaft that drives the generator. I engaged the PTO and spun up the gene, but I have to work on the wiring (and there's a lot of work to do!) before I'm making electricity.

jbolty

I uploaded some generator and pto docs a while back into the reference section. They are the PTO operators manual and the book for the actual generator (not the control panel). If you don't find it in there right away PM me your email and I'll send it to you direct.

tvguy

I identified a number of the wires today . . . basically, I used the "Electronic Governor System Schematic" on the door of the truck to check continuity between the unidentified wires and the governor control circuit next to the power panel. I have a few questions though:

Does power for the governor system go through the fuse panel? If so, where are the fuse(s) located on the panel and what are they labeled?

The schematic shows the “Governor Circuit Switch”, labeled S1 (the main “on” switch in the cab) to have three terminals. My switch is a basic on/off switch with only two terminals. I assume two wires are doubled up on one of the terminals? If so, which wires go to what part of the switch?

I think that’s all for now . . . thanks!

tvguy

You can ignore the above post . . . I got the governor circuit working today. Unfortunately, I'm still not making electricity. I'm not sure what the problem is.

When I turned the switch in the cab on, the engine slowly came up in RPM. It seemed to hunt for the correct speed . . . speeding up, then slowing down and then finally settling. When I put a voltmeter on one of the outlets, it was only putting out about 10 volts. I could press the accelerator until the engine was screaming and get it up to 120 volts, but I can't imagine that it's supposed to be revving that high. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

m38inmaine

If I recall 2nd gear is called out for pto operation. A normal diesel gen set runs at 1800rpm, I would think that is what you should be looking for but I am not sure. If there is a frequency meter that would show 60cycles if the rpm is correct.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The manual calls for the transfer case to be in neutral and the transmission to be in Drive. Pull the PTO engagement cable all the way out and observe the PTO light on the dash. Do not turn the generator switch on until the transmission is in Drive. from TM 9-4940-562-13

The engine will speed up as the governor pulls the engine up to speed and the feedback circuits will keep the engine running at the proper speed to create 60 Hz.

Last edited:

tvguy

The manual calls for the transfer case to be in neutral and the transmission to be in Drive. Pull the PTO engagement cable all the way out and observe the PTO light on the dash. Do not turn the generator switch on until the transmission is in Drive. from TM 9-4940-562-13

The engine will speed up as the governor pulls the engine up to speed and the feedback circuits will keep the engine running at the proper speed to create 60 Hz.
My problem is that the engine isn't speeding up enough . . . when I engage the governor circuit, it speeds up slightly then levels off. It never speeds up enough to hit 2nd gear. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the magnetic sensor on the PTO . . . is there a way to test it?

1956_4x4

I've had to replace two of the magnetic sensors. They are pretty reliable unless the wires get broken. If you get in touch with the people at Muncie, they might be able to tell you how to test the sensor. I don't remember any specific test procedure in the TM, but there should at least be some type of ohm specification for it.

Smitty

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks