• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need M880 Tailgate

98hd

Recovry4x4 said:
98HD, wanna sell it? Maybe I can get ccatlett1984 to bring it to the rally. Hmmm!
Sure, I was planning on scrapping the bed, as the sides are rotten. I am going up to my property where it is at this weekend and will get pics for you.

98hd

Forgot to mention, I have a 73 frame engine/trans, a core support from a '78? an 82 parts truck, I think I've got a reverse rotation PS box and bracket, probably a pump and hoses somewhere.

All civvy trucks.

Let me know if your looking for anything else.

Elwenil

Keep in mind that there are at least two different tailgates for the '72-'80 D and W series Dodge trucks. One has the Dodge delta logo embossed on it, the other is plain. I have been told there are more than two versions, but I have never seen more than the two and so cannot confirm it. They will swap so it's just a matter of the correct look. The '81-'93 tailgates will also swap, but the body lines do not match up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK! Catlett is in the LP so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to con you into shipping this stuff to him. He can bring it to me. I''m much interested in the power steering as well. Make me a deal I can't refuse! Meanwhile, I'll try to scare up someone closer. Hey Citizensoldier, you in the UP? Why aren't you on the map?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Kenny, when are you getting to Ga.? There is a junkyard 8 or 9 miles from me with a bunch of old Dodges, we could ride over there and take a look-see before the rally.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tentative but firm plans is to be in Camilla GA on Thursday at 10AM to pick up Bruce's shop van. Then may need to go to Americus to pick up tents. From there its under 200 miles to the rally site. Late Thursday I'm guessing!

98hd

Recovry4x4 said:
OK! Catlett is in the LP so maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to con you into shipping this stuff to him. He can bring it to me. I''m much interested in the power steering as well. Make me a deal I can't refuse! Meanwhile, I'll try to scare up someone closer. Hey Citizensoldier, you in the UP? Why aren't you on the map?
Citizensoldier isn't up there either, I believe he is down by Dave P. Maybe if you can catch someone going from the LP over to Ft. McCoy, in WI that will work.

Elwenil

Kenny, keep in mind that the steering off of a '73 model is the old style steering box with the pitman arm shaft that comes out of the side of the box. You can use this style with a few adjustments, but with anything other than skinny stock tires you will rub the steering arm at a full right turn. Try and get a power setup from a later model truck. Everything from roughly '76 to '91 with a small block will work if you take the pump with the system as there was a hose fitting change in the mid '80s.

98hd

Elwenil said:
Kenny, keep in mind that the steering off of a '73 model is the old style steering box with the pitman arm shaft that comes out of the side of the box. You can use this style with a few adjustments, but with anything other than skinny stock tires you will rub the steering arm at a full right turn. Try and get a power setup from a later model truck. Everything from roughly '76 to '91 with a small block will work if you take the pump with the system as there was a hose fitting change in the mid '80s.
I thought one would want to use the setup off of a similar year truck? Regardless, I do one on the '82 parts truck I could take off, it is going to the scrapper eventually.

Elwenil

The '82 is a bolt on deal and will be the correct design for power steering on a mid '70s to mid '80s model truck an when on an M880, it will be hard to tell it wasn't stock.

Kenny, while you are upgrading the steering, consider a Borgeson steering shaft. They aren't cheap, but are worth their wieght in gold and will be a serious upgrade to the steering.

98hd, make sure you don't scrap the divorced NP205 out of that '73 model. They are very desirable to the M715 crowd as an upgrade to the pathetic NP200.

98hd

Elwenil said:
The '82 is a bolt on deal and will be the correct design for power steering on a mid '70s to mid '80s model truck an when on an M880, it will be hard to tell it wasn't stock.

Kenny, while you are upgrading the steering, consider a Borgeson steering shaft. They aren't cheap, but are worth their wieght in gold and will be a serious upgrade to the steering.

98hd, make sure you don't scrap the divorced NP205 out of that '73 model. They are very desirable to the M715 crowd as an upgrade to the pathetic NP200.
You mean there are people who actually want that thing? I had tried to sell it before but no one was even interested unless it was free.

Elwenil

98hd said:
You mean there are people who actually want that thing? I had tried to sell it before but no one was even interested unless it was free.
Hell (Since when is h3ll a curse word???) I'd take it if it was free, lol. There are a lot of interesting uses for a divorced NP205. They have 35 spline inputs and outputs all around and can be mounted lower than the rest of the drivetrain to improve driveshaft angles. Just grab the crossmember with it as it helps in mounting it in other vehicles. I've had two '74 model trucks (W100 & W200) both had the divorced NP205 and I would take that setup over any other. If I had the wheelbase for one in my Ramcharger I'd put one in. I'd hold onto it for a while. Shipping is killer right now but it will be worth the shop space it will take up in the meantime and will be worth way more than it's scrap weight, lol.

Elwenil

Recovry4x4 said:
Lanty, can you take a guess on the year of this truck?
Kenny I'm going to guess tht is a '73 or '74 model judging by the grille and the turn signals in the valance and the fact that it has the large 5 on 5.5" bolt circle and is part time 4WD.