• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need manuals for military forklift

wdbtchr

I bought a 4000# rough terrain forklift and can't locate any manuals for it. It is a model DTC 8606 built by Entwistle for the Marine Corps. Have tried the usual sources with no luck. Can anybody here help?

Attachments

wdbtchr

Good news! I finally heard from Entwistle(only took 6 months) I got a set(two large looses leaf notebooks) for $100. If anybody needs anything looked up let me know. I'm trying to cross reference NSNs for civilian replacements for filters.

There isn't one on the data plate, there is a Federal stock number on the plate, but nothing is stamped next to it. The serial # is 26000206, (the USN13 number I gave is the registration #), there is nothing listed on the DA technical manual line (drat), the contract no. is DSA-4-903. It was built in 5/63.

When did the national stock numbers start showing up? It is a little forklift with solid tires and we use it inside of railroad boxcars to move pallets of R/R ties and other hardware, (all of track parts are VERY HEAVY!!)

Guyfang

Staff member
The FSN, (Federal Stock Number system) was in use from 1955 to 1974.

It is always possible that your Data plate is not original. That's the reason there is no FSN. If the data plate became lost, or unreadable, then a new one is ordered, and the unit is suposed to fill it out as best as possible. Normally, in the old days, such information was kept in the Log Book. Something else that often came up lost or "improved".

"Improved". I wont say I ever had any such experiences, personally, but I may have heard a story, or two. There are unscrupulous people in the world. Sometimes they decide to take things, from one place, and deposit them in another. When such things happen, some people would remove identifying information, such as data plates. When such things happen, it becomes difficult to trace ownership, or properly identify the equipment. So when it is discovered that something has been misplaced, and recovered, a unit has to still account for items. Then, a new data plate is ordered, and what info that is on hand, is put on the data plate. If this happened in the Army, the AR, (Army Regulation) covering this situation says something to the effect, "If the gaining unit is unable to properly identify the FSN, or Serial number, one must be made up". A number would be made up, and stamped on the plate. A note is then placed in the logbook and everyone is once again happy.

Doesn't mean that's what happened to your forklift. But it could have. Also, perhaps the Navy bought some equipment to use, for a short term, and after the project was done, the equipment was reissued to some other unit. And, since control and accountability is a VERY high priority, so someone ordered a data plate, and filled in the info that they had, and then riveted it to the forklift. That way, when a commander walks around doing his 10% inventory every month, he had something to look at.

Another scenario, is that the Navy did not want to buy a lot of these forklifts. They also did not want to go to the expense of assigning a FSN, and most importantly, did not want to go to the expense of producing TM, (technical manuals) for a low density item. When all the services agree to procure the same equipment, these costs were split between the services. And the costs are not inconsequential.

Could you shoot a few more pictures, and give us a bit more detail? The military had about a kazillion different types of 4K forklifts. maybe if someone can see a bit more detail, they might be able to give you a better idea, what one it MIGHT be.

robo91670

Good news! I finally heard from Entwistle(only took 6 months) I got a set(two large looses leaf notebooks) for $100. If anybody needs anything looked up let me know. I'm trying to cross reference NSNs for civilian replacements for filters.
I have the same machine. trying to find parts manual, with no luck, i need to rebuild all the hydraulic cylinders but there are no numbers on the cylinders so i can get parts. do you still have your books and by chance do they have the type of cylinders. please and thank you

Hydraulic cylinders should be pretty easy, check with a local company like AC DePuydt with the size of your cylinders and photos of what your seals are like and they should be able to help you.http://www.acdepuydt.com/

SpaghettiSalesman

Can you tell me what the model number of the orbitrol is? I had the steering cylinders and orbitrol rebuilt but they screwed up the housing right at the shaft and it sprays hydro out like a Vagas fountain. They sell them on eBay, but I can't remember if it's a Danfuss 150 or 200 or what ever. I've got the Marine Corps books as PDFs if you would like to have them. Tells you where to aim the M2 if you want to keep it out of enemy hands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks