• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need positive i.d. help PLEASE!

alaskanbri

Hello, I am new to this site and hope this is the proper place to post this question (looks like a whole lot of rules govern this site - wow). I purchased a "1952 GMC" (that is what it says on the title - in fact, that's about ALL it says on the title) that is in pretty good shape. The truck has 3 axles and ten tires, plus a "swing-out spare". Looks like a GMC straight 6 engine (302 maybe?). The truck was running from a can of gas tied into the carb, but I need to replace the fuel pump unit so she will run the proper way. The biggest problem I have had so far is identifying the exact model #, military designation, or whatever so I can find and buy parts. The bed has been removed and is missing, but I do have all three of the bed's side rail/bench assemblies. There is a 10,000 lb winch on front, and she is definitely on a 24 volt system. In the cab, I have found "plates" with info on running the winch, shifting the transmission and transfer case, checking coolant levels, and numerous other info but absolutely NO plate with an "M" designation or any other identifying features. This particular truck still has the original army paint and stencilled numbers all over her, plus she was owned by the city of Telluride, Colorado for a while and was used for civil defense, and she still has a few of the civil defense stickers on her as well. Could anyone please tell me where I should look to figure out if this is an "M-35", "M135", "M211" or what? I have looked at hundreds of photos on this site, but they are very similar yet (I'm sure) different in important ways, and I am having zero success using the year/model info to find anything for parts... I purchased this vehicle for my father, so we could have a nice project to restore, and then he intends to use it for a variety of purposes on his ranch/farm. Any information you might have time to share will be appreciated, and I thank you for this very useful site! Thank you!

***UPDATE: I have posted 5 photos of this truck, they are post #14 below...

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
always post pictures. that being said if it if it is a GMC with a straight 6 gas motor it is not a M35. if it has dual wheels on the back it should be a M211 but there are several versions that have duals need pictures of front, side and back. Below is a pic of my M135 straight out of the fire service.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a M211 or XM211. The main data plates are around, I've got a few. The serial number (VIN) is on the frame near the LH knee action shock. Sand the paint off in that area and report the serial number back to us. The bed you are missing is the same as the M35A2 bed that everyone on this site has. You should be able to score one for scrap price. Parts are available from several sources, what do you need?

alaskanbri

Thanks, NDT - I'll sand off the paint and report back asap. The first (of many) parts needed is the fuel pump, which it looks like can be removed from the large rectangular "fuel pump assembly frame" that I removed from the gas tank. I did check the entire fuel pump assembly and mechanism but could not find any numbers at all, anywhere on the unit or "fuel pump frame". I do recall that on the title the "vin #" is only 4 numbers, which doesn't seem right.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4 digit VIN sounds correct, you have an early (XM) truck. That electric pump is a pricy item, you might consider replacing it with a newer 24 volt in line pump. Part numbers are rarely stamped into the parts, you will need the TM (Technical Manuals) for the truck, the parts book is called "ORD9 G749".

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel pump

Alpha Heaven used to sell an inline pump. I have one and it works
perfectly, But Alpha Heaven seems to have dissapeared. Any one know
what happened to them and Roger?
Bruce

Stan Leschert

Rear tires, are they duallies? if so it is in the M-211 family. The TM is here under the reource section. When I get home, I will post the ref# .

A pic or 14 would help. Grab a buddy with a camera phone and we might be able to assist more. Good luck and if it is what I think it is, you got a swweeet truck. Moody at times, but Oh so fun!

XM 2742

The serial number on the right side frame rail will have the XM or M designation to go with your four numbers. It's a 211 for sure. An X designates "experimental" and an early model. A lot of those XM models went to CD or fire service.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel Pump *Correction*

I had a bad link and thought Alpha Heaven had went away.
Check with them and see if they still sell the inline pumps.
I have one and they work well.
Bruce

Devildawg0369

I have a 1952 XM211 Serial number 1781 does anyone know how long the XM designation was used before they went to the plain M211? Ran into a couple of consecutive three digit trucks in Northern Maine last summer, they were XM211s dated 1/52.

Last edited:

XM 2742

Yep...211........... about the m and or XM .my XM is 8-52......... looks like the X went at least as far as August 52.

That truck looks to be in super shape..and a winch too..great find.

alaskanbri

Thanks for the confirmations and advice! Believe it or not, back in August of 2007, when I made the purchase, she was running real strong with just a hose from a gas can into the carb, and the winch was operational because we unspooled about 30' and re-spooled it just to see if it worked. I sincerely appreciate the help with this, and will absolutely post pics and updates as the project progresses! (paid $500 cash for her - not bad?)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup 500 is a steal. This is how you want to buy these trucks, clean and rust free. There is plenty of other work to be done on them to be overwhelmed with rust repairs as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks