• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need R2 crash truck photos

m37brat

I found a nice R2 crash truck this fall and have begun restoration. The body and mechanics are solid but the rear compartment has been stripped out for every thing but the generator. I am finding it very difficult to find good pictures of all the shelving and parts that would have been in the back.

Any pictures of the back showing as much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated. If there are pictures already on the site, can someone tell me how to access them?

Thanks for the help, Jim.

m37brat

That looks cool. I have never seen one.
Yes, they are very few and far between. The first I heard of them is when I read John Zentmeyer's book "The Production Story". The total production was only 308 and the only other one I ever saw was a parts car. Several years ago I had a chance to by the XM711 wrecker and passed because I thought someone had put the thing together from parts of another truck. I kick myself to this day and swore if I ever ran across a limited production M37 variant I would do what ever I could to get it.

The big problem in this type of restoration is you are not going to find the body parts you need. The body was done by a company in Conastoga NY named Onieda Products which was bought out by the ACF Brill company. Both seen to be now defunct. How great it would be to have a manual or drawings, but no luck. I haven't been able to find a local library that may have the old company records. I guess if I ever get it done it will be just that mucher sweeter.

Last edited:

m37brat

Wow what a great job. I can only hope my truck ends up half as nice as this. He does have a small mistake in he's very nice placard though. The only piece of documentation I have been able to find on the R-2. It's a training piece done on 19 July 1956. In the document there is a section titled "Procedure for Operating R-2 Rescue Vehicle". It begins with, 1. Crew chief (Rescueman), 2.Driver (Resueman) and 3. Power tool operator (Rescueman). So it looks like the truck carried a crew of 3 and not 2. Not a big deal just an interesting piece of information on a truck that seems to have very little documentation available.

If you ever meet the guy that owns this truck please tell him I am very jealous and I would love to have some detailed pictures of the setup in the rear. Especially the areas above and below the two small side doors.

Thanks again for the pictures. Jim

m37brat

Before I finish my bucket list I would love to add one of each of these trucks to my collection........

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878652.903870.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878699.803242.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878722.274204.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878746.421472.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353878761.750620.jpg

My daddy always told me when you dream, dream big!

FrankUSMC

I have seen a couple of them in my time. There was one or it still might be here in North Carolina that was fixed back up.
Now, google MB-2 crash truck if you want the "rare" one. The MB-2 was a Dodge crash truck built on the M37 series frame for the Navy and Marines. I have never seen one restored. In 30 years I have seen the remains of one, and about 3 more parts trucks for sell.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

FrankUSMC

I know of that MB-2. The owner listed it on the Dodge Power Wagon forum first. I sent some information to the owner on what it was, as at the time they had it listed as a R2.
That one is one of the more complete ones I have seen, but still missing alot.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

rosims

I found a nice R2 crash truck this fall and have begun restoration. The body and mechanics are solid but the rear compartment has been stripped out for every thing but the generator. I am finding it very difficult to find good pictures of all the shelving and parts that would have been in the back.

Any pictures of the back showing as much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated. If there are pictures already on the site, can someone tell me how to access them?

Thanks for the help, Jim.
I have restored a R2 (Sold to a good home :(), pictures of it are in this thread. I have complete pictures, plans drawings, etc of all the inside parts, wiring diagrams, manuals, etc. PM me, would be glad to help. Robert