• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need scamatic starter wiring system help

nattieleather

Ok so I'm building a concept truck using an M37 as the bases. In my alternet universe the HMMWV doesn't come around for another 15 years 1995ish and the M37 is still in use in the 1980 much like the M35...anyway I am looking to install a 6.2L GM motor in the the truck and since I'm making it all military I figure I'm going to need to put in the same starter system in as the HMMWV. Therefore can anyone help me with the wiring scamatic for the starting system for the HMMWV?

Thanks
Joe

Barrman

Joe,
24 volt truck running a 24 volt starter right?

Batteries -negative to ground and positive of bat 1 to negative bat 2. Positive bat 2 to starter.

Wait a minute. The M37 had a pedal to push that activated the starter, not a button, right? That means you need to add a button. Either a hand push like the M35A2 or a foot push like the M715. I would suggest the M715 style foot push to cover the hole in the floor.

Doing the foot push button means the hot wire off bat 2 goes to one side of the button. The power for the rest of the truck will come off that terminal as well.

There are two ways to wire up a solenoid starter to the M715 push button. Hard wire the solenoid ON post to the big battery supply post on the solenoid and then have the power to the starter only when the button is pushed. I don't like this way because if the button fails, you can't hot wire the starter. The best way in my mind and the way I did my 396 is to have the battery power to the starter tied in on the hot side of the button along with the truck power supply and the supply from the battery. Then, just a 10 gauge wire from the other side of the button to the small post on the solenoid.

Except for that, your truck is going to be exactly the same wiring as a M715, stock M37 or stock M35A2. You already know all the lights and gauges are the same with them. The only thing left is the ignition hot wire and starter circuit. The 6.2 has a hot wire to the IP, so it really is an ignition hot wire. I would go so far as to suggest you buy one of those M35A2 wiring harness on ebay all the time and put that in your truck. New Packard fittings, good wires and the numbers will all go to where they are meant to. Just use the flame heater wire to run the IP. You will have to loop the marker light wires a little because they will be too long. Everything else will be about the proper length.

Use a M35 or that M715 wiring diagram to see where everything goes. Both are posted here and you know the Zone has the 715 one.

This make sense?

DOH! I hit submit and remembered the glow plugs. Some kind of manual control momentary switch. Maybe a second M715 push button on the floor so nobody will ever figure out how to start your truck unless you are in it. Very simple one wire in, one wire out and then daisy chain all the plugs together to be done.

Last edited:

nattieleather

Tim,

I know basically how the batteries go I've been in MVs for about 30 years now... :lol: What I was asking was how to wire up the starter switch with the glow plug circut. Yes 24V with 24V starter just like a HMMWV. In fact I was thinking of using the starter switch from the HMMWV which has the wait position for the glow plugs and then the start run position for the making it go. I am looking to see how that is wired up so that I can duplicate it when I get to the wiring portion since I'm going to have to adapt a wire harness to wotk in the truck. That is why I posted this question here. I'm know I'm going to not only need the wiring for the switch but the wiring for the glow plug control module yes?

Barrman

Joe,
heh heh, we have two Joes posting in the same thread. Um, Joe in Cleveland,

I know you have way more experience with MV's than I do. However, the way you phrased your question made me think you had been drinking the dog water again. So I put the answer in very simple terms. I didn't mean to insult you. You just asked such a simple open ended question that read to me like you wanted to start basic in case you were missing something. Sorry.

Now that I know what you are looking for. You had a CUCV and lived with the "automatic" glow plug system and all its problems. You had a multifuel and its "push the button and start" diesel. I don't know which one you liked best, but I like to be the one deciding what is going in. That is why wiring in a simple manual control for the glow plugs seems best to me.

Something as simple as my posted above M715 starter button controlling the plugs directly. A M35A2 starter button turning on a glow plug relay would probably be better. I have never worked a HMMWV system, so I can't comment on them. However, if they have a position on the switch just for glow plugs. Then, you can wire it up as direct manual control of a relay or through some kind of timer. Again, I prefer the manual approach since you are starting from scratch.

Another option is the I think really cool timer switch Sermis used on his 6.2 M725. Police cars with gun racks in them have a timer on the lock of the gun rack. 8 seconds after you push the switch, it turns off by itself. That is just about a perfect time for a 6.2 with good glow plugs.

Better?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, get to work on my Blue Bomber and quit post on SS. I know you want to catch up with Gimpyrobb's 10,000 post but do it later.....;)

nattieleather

@Barrman... Tim yes thanks and I wasn't offended by your first post no worries there. Since I've decided to go with the 6.2 I'm sure I will be "picking" your brain a lot as we go down the road with this project. I like the idea of the manual glow plug system and will have to keep that in mind. Turn them on for x numeber of seconds then hit start. I'll keep that in mind.

@Warthog. Thanks and LOL!

Barrman

Blue Bomber Joe,

NO. Our newly re-elected governor graciously gave us 4 hours of holiday leave for this afternoon. That means the students are all in a frenzy to get their gang messages passed, contraband hidden and such before we all go home in 34 minutes. I have the new belt sitting on the engine ready for the students to install on Monday.

M37 Joe,

I like the manual glow plug control idea for a start from scratch system because it fits my middle of nowhere on a cold dark wet night criteria. It isn't going to turn itself on to melt your truck, it isn't going to stick on and if it does, one wire turns it off, it isn 't going to drain your battery all by itself and most important of all. You get to think for yourself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks