• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need size on fuel line

maxxplanck

I'm thinking of replaceing my copper primary fuel line that runs from the primary filter under the bumper because it has a nice size bend in it.. Is that fuel line 3/8" or 1/4" ? I would like to do a flexible fuel line, does napa carry that ? And the hex nut size is two different sizes , Anyone have those sizes my TM 9-2320-361-20 isn't much help right now.

bill2444

I went with hydraulic line when I replaced mine. I believe it has 3/8" inside dia at the fittings and more in the hose. Napa has the adapters and line. I went with the 4 strand fire resistant hose. I know it's over kill but only a few bucks more for the better stuff on a short length. Plus it'll double as a tow strap if I'm stuck in a forest fire:mrgreen:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Bill said.... I replaced mine with 3/8 flexible fuel line, but want to do just what Bill did to delay the effects of dry-rotting in the desert....most of the fittings are pretty standard, you shouldn't have any trouble finding parts.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
all tubing is measured by od. it is all 1/4, 3/8, and a little 1/2. use truck air brake line and it will last forever. reuse all the original fittings and nuts with sleeves inside the line for support with nylon ferrules and do not overtighten.
tom

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
hyd line will not work and is completely different. air brake line is really the best choice of the many types available.

tom

bill2444

Air line will work fine
But IMO hyd much better ( more $ though) it's petroleum safe, many forms of chemical resistant, abrasion resistant, crush resistant, can handle much much more heat, some brands are fire resistant, most brands are capable of 2000 psi or a lot more,
You do have to change out to pipe thread x hyd fitting end to use them though. Most auto parts stores make hyd lines and have fittings.
At our work ( heavy equip const/ well drilling) you'd get a kick in the pants for putting some thin cheap plastic/rubber fuel line on.
Many times have we had a truck buried down in some muddy old logging road: to have a fuel line ripped off, then there you are dead birdied up to the saddle tanks and you have to get under there and fix it with water & mud up to your *** and it's 30* out. And it's only 8 AM.

I have also seen one piece of equipment burn up from a stick running up into the frame rail and tearing a stock fuel line on a Volvo. It caused the fuel to spray on the turbo. Older greasy truck, like a duece with a rear main weaping- it went pretty fast. Luckily it was not one of ours...

bill2444

Not meaning to rant and rave: but air line connections are stupid. Push lock,compression,hose clamp all fine for short term but not super reliable. most of our air lines are even hyd lines. ( simply if a 50 psi air clutch on an overhead winch leaks/fails someone will probably get killed)

Have I changed out all my lines on the deuce: NO
But if I have a choice in what to use at replacement time: airline is just fine but there is better options too...

eagle4g63

One thing I was wondering is Why they don't use any AN line?!? I mean it was developed by the military!!

Anyway, when I get around to re-fixing my main fuel line( I had a ripped off fuel line and put a temp rubber hose on it) that is what I am going to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks