• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Some Advice. Bet None of You Have Had This Happen

greenupscott

Banned
I have a dandy story for you guys. I watched and bid on a couple of cucv's at Scioto Trail ( I hour south of Columbus ohio) that the forestry was selling. Fire Department Turn Ins. I did not win an auction. While driving to work this week I passed one of the M1009's btoke down along the road, shredded left front tire. After a day or two I noticed the state patrol sticker on it to move it. Means hefty storage and tow bill where i come from. I called the forestry and tracked down the guy who bought it. Long story short I ened up buying it for $100 because he wasn't going to be able to get bacfk to this part of the country to get it. He got the SF97 already and offered to write me a bill of sale. I'm not for sure what to pursue as I don't know if it runs. Loooks like it should. Somebody cut the battery cables off it, has 2 fairly new looking interstates in it. Is the SF97 transferrable or does he have to have it inspected then titled and then transferred to me, which is not feasible as I live 150 miles from him at least. Any ideas on what to do? I have a 84gmc 3/4 ton 4x4 454 and could use doors etc.. It is a pretty good looking truck and I've always wanted one.. Looking for smarter people than me for advice

Attachments

Last edited:

Jimma

The worst case would be to part out the truck and make some money. By the way what are the pictures of the door and the fridge?

greenupscott

Banned
Uploaded the wrong pictures...... Took forever to correct. I really don't want to part it out it seems to be in good shape. Will have to figure out the terminals on the firewall to see if it will run....

K9Vic

You can not transfer a SF97, the person whose name is on it would have to title it and then transfer it to you. If like Texas you can do a boned title, but be sure you have the guy give you the SF97 and a bill of sale signed by both of you; this is so he can not come back and claim it. If Ohio does not have bonded titles program, then you will just have to part it out. Or maybe you can get the guy to title it and then pay him the cost of that and mail you the title with some extra $$ for the trouble. Depends on how honest the guy is, but I think that is the only way you could title it are those options.

Westech

CPL
BULL on the SF97.... I had one in another persons name and I walked in the DMV and walked out with a title. All I had was a bill of sale and the 97. AND I am in Wisconsin.

Timber

Ask the guy to title it for you. Offer him a steak dinner for him and the wifey for his trouble. Worst case you end up with a parts donor for the $100 purchase price and maybe another $40 for the dinner.

After that, you might own it free and clear. Next case, he might not do the paper work and you have to part it out. Or he might title it and show up to take it.

For $100 it's not much of a gamble, especially if you negotiate by email and have documentation of intent.

bratpackdad

That's almost a free truck. Get it, pay whatever to register it and get it running; then sell it. This is a no brainer, a small amount of effort and a quick turn around = cash in your pocket.

MuddWeiser

I agree... for $100 it's worth it - even at $300 (if you have to pay him $200 to do the paperwork)...

On a side note, that same thing happened when I bought my M1009... The tread separated from the tire when I test drove it after towing it home!

MuddWeiser

I agree... for $100 it's worth it - even at $300 (if you have to pay him $200 to do the paperwork)...

On a side note, that same thing happened when I bought my M1009... The tread separated from the tire when I test drove it after towing it home!

Sardot1

How bad of shape could it be in if it was driven to it's current location and now has a bad tire?

The SF97 IS transferable, as this is what GL does. When you get one from them it is made out to GL and they include a notarized release transferring it to the buyer. Get one from the seller. Or just take the SF97 to the DMV with the bill of sale and see if that works, if not ask them what will.

If you do get it you'll also need to buy some green paint to make it right.

rnd-motorsports

If you have the sf97 A bill of sale signed by the person the sf97 is named in and the Certificate to obtain title that should of come with the sf97 you can get a title. Here in Mich I didn,t need an inspection of anykind! have a freind his wife works in DMV so I ask questions alot very helpful. And no she works at a dif office then I use! Good luck! and truck looks good is it still 24volt or 12volt?

48cj2a

Lot of different states and different rules. Call the DMV and ask the question yourself.

Maybe the two of you could meet and go to the DMV together and get it done in your name and pay the title fee once.

greenupscott

Banned
It wasn't driven and have a tire blow out, it was towed with a rv and blew the tire. Someone has cut the wires to the batteries from the terminal strip. Any diagrams on here to get that right? My ex girlfriend works at the dmv, I'll ask. I know the last vehicle I bought from GSA was titled from the district of columbia i think and in Ohio all out of state titles have to have the vin inspected. If I get it running I'll just store it away and watch for a clunker to sell and build one if I have to. I really want a M1008 but have to settle for my 84 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4 454. it does ok for now

Scarecrow1

The im portant thing to do is to ask your dmv what is the best way to do this ...I'm sure everyone is partly correct in their answers but you know what a pain it is to get a title on trucks that someone didn't cross the t,s and dot the I,s , in some cases I know it has caused many here a lot of grief ...play it safe and ask the people who have to do it for a living

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks