• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need some help choosing a truck

svd dragunov

i have an opportunity to buy 1 of 2 deuces. ones in a local junk yard 2 min from my house the other is about 45 min away. the one thats farther away is in decent shape with no bed (theres a water tank for it but im not sure if its part of the deal ist sitting away from the truck). hes asking 4,000. the one at the junkyard looks like **** i have no idea if it even runs.or what the guy wants for it but it looks complete, ill know more tomorrow.

basically id like to know what do you guys think. if i can get the one from the junkyard for a steal would it be worth fixing up? or would i be better of getting the one in better shape. i have decent mechanic skills, im just more concerned about parts adding up to more than the vehicle is worth. thanks for any help you may have to offer.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
$4K for a deuce that needs a bed isn't a deal. The junk yard deuce probably has more value as parts at least, if you pay scrap price.

goldneagle

You need to look at the one in the junk yard real good. Check if it has fluids and fuel. Might ever want to try and get it started if the owner will allow. Will probably need batteries. You can put some gasoline on a rag against the breather cap and see if she will try to fire up. If I were you i would download the manuals from this site and read up on the truck before attempting anything. Know how to start it and how to shut it down. Tow it home if you buy it. Then go through the truck thoroughly to make sure the brakes work etc.

Very important that there be a title for the truck -unless you plan to part it out. No title no deal -if you plan to drive it on the public roads.

Oh ye take plenty of pictures.

welldigger

The one without a bed I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it and if the junkyard deuce starts and runs maybe 2k...if not I wouldn't go much more than a grand.

I have had done real good dealing with scrap yards they may let you strip every thing you want for a set price ? That way he makes some cash and still has a truck for the scrap . for a first truck I would look for a good running truck .

o1951

Junk yard - don't offer - see what he wants - probably do better that way. Often they want 30- 50% over what they get as scrap. I would make sure engine is not blown, trans, transfer case - big stuff operable unless you get it for parts. Like you said if you need to buy or rebuild major parts, then the other overpriced one suddenly looks cheap.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The one without a bed I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it and if the junkyard deuce starts and runs maybe 2k...if not I wouldn't go much more than a grand.
That's still high IMHO. The one without a bed, I wouldn't go over $2500 if it all checks out. The junkyard one, $1700.

Scarecrow1

On the junk yard one you can bet it has no title and that means IF your state will even issue a salvage title it will cost you more than just the truck price so add it in. If you have your mind set on getting one go for the running Deuce and just buy the bed off the junk yard. With that said I still wouldn't stop looking for another one that is complete and running. I waited 56 years for just the right moment .....be patient it will happen :)

svd dragunov

On the junk yard one you can bet it has no title and that means IF your state will even issue a salvage title it will cost you more than just the truck price so add it in. If you have your mind set on getting one go for the running Deuce and just buy the bed off the junk yard. With that said I still wouldn't stop looking for another one that is complete and running. I waited 56 years for just the right moment .....be patient it will happen :)
56 years? i dont wanna wait that long lol

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's still high IMHO. The one without a bed, I wouldn't go over $2500 if it all checks out. The junkyard one, $1700.
Not sure what scrap is going for in your area but here you will get at least $2000 scraping a deuce if everything is drained . I doubt a scrapyard will sell it for less than they will get scraping it . If they are paying $2000 there is profit on top of that when they load it on the train .

Scarecrow1

LOL and you think I did . A few little things like a career, family and life in general seemed far more pressing than a green hobby. Be patient it will come in it's own time. Even now working on my 5ton is always the last thing that I have time for but, I enjoy it none the less......Good luck..

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure what scrap is going for in your area but here you will get at least $2000 scraping a deuce if everything is drained . I doubt a scrapyard will sell it for less than they will get scraping it . If they are paying $2000 there is profit on top of that when they load it on the train .
13000lbs, minus about 500lbs they'll knock off due to it having tires. So 12500. 12500/100=125. 125 x $12 = $1500. $2K for 12,500lbs of scrap uncut would be a great deal.

svd dragunov

will i just got back from going over the deuce at the yard it is in worse shape then i first thought. its missing the radiator. and air compressor pump, and the front tire. and the hub looks like ****.downsize(1).jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For the junker, you're looking at $300 to 500-ish for the radiator, maybe $100 for the Air Compressor, Prob $300 in the axle parts. Then whatever else you're needing. I've got a air compressor, but I don't know what shape it's in. Also have a spare spindle. Hopefully that axle is still ok?

How much are they wanting for the junk truck? You're honestly looking at probably a grand in parts just with what you've mentioned.

Hooper

i have an opportunity to buy 1 of 2 deuces. ones in a local junk yard 2 min from my house the other is about 45 min away. the one thats farther away is in decent shape with no bed (theres a water tank for it but im not sure if its part of the deal ist sitting away from the truck). hes asking 4,000. the one at the junkyard looks like **** i have no idea if it even runs.or what the guy wants for it but it looks complete, ill know more tomorrow.

basically id like to know what do you guys think. if i can get the one from the junkyard for a steal would it be worth fixing up? or would i be better of getting the one in better shape. i have decent mechanic skills, im just more concerned about parts adding up to more than the vehicle is worth. thanks for any help you may have to offer.

Neither. Buy a M923

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks