• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help M1009 will not start up.

84cucv1ton

I need to move this truck by the end of the day. Been working on it for a little while. Have new glow plugs, belts, batteries and a push button for the glow plugs installed. This truck is only been sitting about six months. Started okay last time. That's why I put a new glow plugs. Not getting any smoke out the tailpipe. It's only me here right now. I'm trying to avoid having to pay hundreds to have it towed to my house. Nothing like waiting for the last-minute. Has half a tank of fuel. Fuel looks clean. Fuel filter only has a few thousand miles on it before it was parked. Anyone have some ideas? thanks for the help

Keith_J

No smoke, no fuel. Hand vacuum pump attached to the top valve on the fuel filter, then vacuum until you get fuel in the vacuum pump's container. Quickly close the valve while maintaining vacuum. This works on my step son's 1009 after he ran it dry, then after he let it set for a few months.

Triple C

Make sure the batteries are at full charge. May have lost it's prime. Crack a line and see if it weeps when you crank it. Sure you know not to use ether but just a reminder.

rlltide12

What i did with mine when i recovered it was unplug the injection pump pink wire and spin the motor over for about 20 seconds. That lets the supply pump get fuel to the filter. Pull the hose off the output side of the filter and let it run out if you want to be extra careful. If it still wont hit after replacing the pink wire, crack an injector and verify fuel while turning it over. Thats a good method to ensure you are getting fuel. Another old trick is to soak a rag in gas, ring it out some, then hold it over the intake. It will start on the fumes. Works great and doesnt damage the engine like starting fluid will.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Algae grows no matter how many miles it had when parked last. A fresh filter may help.

Prime it yet?

Last edited:

paladin1176

The general concensus ( and I agree) is that the truck bled down fuel pressure and lost prime because of sitting. This results in 3 problems: 1-you have to re-bleed the system to get fuel back to the injector pump and injectors to create pressure to power the injectors. 2- air in the filter plays **** with the filter and can crap it out fairly quickly. 3- Junk in the tank grows or settles, then is picked up and pushed into your filter further aggravating the filter issue and causing a faster plugged up issue.

Start by changing your filter. You can fill it as full as you can with ATF or diesel fuel. I like ATF because it comes in a bottle already and it helps lube the injectors and pump that have been sitting for a long time.

Then (Mentioned ab0ve) remove the pink wire that connects to the Injector Pump, crack the bleeder on the filter housing and crank for 15-20 seconds. If no fuel comes out, wait 30 seconds to cool the starter and re-crank. Shouldn't take more than once or twice to re-prime the filter.

Once you have fuel to the filter you have 2 options, crank it until it re fills the fill injector lines, which will cause it to stumble, stop, start, stumble, puke, bitch, whine, moan and then eventually smooth out and run.

OR crack 2 or 3 injector lines to help bleed the air faster. If you have somebody helping they can crank while you watch the injectors. If you crack 3 lines (I like to break open 1-3-4 cylinders) you can close them down while cranking, and it should start to run almost immediately once you get the second line tightened.

Once running...try to put some miles on it right away and keep a spare filter around in case it sucks up some more crud while flushing the lines out.

Let us know how it goes!.

84cucv1ton

i Did put locus fuel stabilizer in the fuel when I parked it. I stuck a hose down the fuel tank. It look clean. Anything I can dump in the tank to get rid of algae? I have some time in the morning to get truck out of their. Thanks for the help guys

paladin1176

You can look for stuff like Starbright and Lucas Bio-Medic to kill the algae. Not a bad idea as a maintenance issue, but are you sure it's the algae build up you are having problems with? Is your filter covered in reddish brown slimy crud?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No additive will fix a clogged filter.

Keith_J

It is bacteria which grow because of water. The sock in the tank stops it from entering the pickup. But if water gets in the filter, all bets are off.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you where having issues with your fusebox, are you sure you are getting 12v to the pink wire at the injector pump fuel shutoff?

84cucv1ton

cracked an injector. no fuel. fuel filter has some white stuff it. getting towed up here soon.. guess i have bad fuel. thought diesel fuel lasted a long time. not this warthog. thats my pickup

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it is time to test the fuel system. Start at the fuel lift pump, go to the filter, then the IP and then the injectors. You have to have fuel flow at each point.