• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help: m925 front axle feels like it is not disengaging..

Cinman37

I had to take the truck to town today to fill it with diesel and wash it, when pulling out of my yard I put it into low range. When I pulled into the truck stop for fuel I notice the truck was steering as if the front axle was engaged, it would not turn as shary as normal and It felt as if the front end was pawing as it turned. Is there any common problems with these t,cases/front axles sticking in the engaged position.?
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I know there are very specific warnings regarding that....what the implications are I don't know, but that may start others thinking in that direction. Hope its not bad.......

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is another valve that should be visible between the cab and bed. Check to see if it is stuck in the on position.

Cinman37

It looks like it is pointed towards the t case I assume the washer on the cable pulls the switch back towards the engine to engage the front axle? Not 100% sure though.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-272-24-1

Section 1-20 (page 44 in the PDF). Go read that quick and then look at it again. Discusses the whole operation. That valve is item 9 on page 45.

Cinman37

Yes it has been in the teens for a while here when I get home from work tomorrow I will look the the front wheel drive valve located on the front of the t case and see if it hopefully stuck in..

All I know is if you reverse that truck in low BAD things can happen. Im thinking you could have busted something in the transfer case. When you drove it were there any unusual noises? If it was the transfer I would be sure there would be some abnornal noises being made. One of the first places to look would be the engaging air switch on the dash. This is a wild guess but its worth a look. Check and see that it isnt installed backwards. The lever should be towards the steering column when disengaged and towards the door when engaged. When disengaging the T-case you should hear air release if you dont then its probably an air problem. These are all guesses I dont know for sure whats happening just throwing out some stuff i would check first.

Cinman37

Good news and bad news. The good news which really outweighs the bad news is that my t-case suffered no ill effect from my me and my poor judgement when in my moment of need (had it buried in the mud up to the pumpkins and put in low reverse). The bad news it is the valve on the front of the t-case constantly supplying air to the front wheel drive cylinder. Proved it by cracking the air lines then went further by pumping the brakes Dow to 30 pounds to engage the tractor protection valve. When the tractor protection valve tripped the front axle disengaged letting my rear axles to spin on the giant sheet of ice that I was on which used to be my lawn.
thanks for all of the help trying to figure this out. But I was hoping someone could tell me how to re- plumb the 3 air line going to that switch so I can bypass it all together..
This site is great by the way It is a helpful tool to have..

emr

Low reverse is a driver error problem, When shifting many rush the trans hit the gas and it slams into gear, ( driver error ) This will crack the case in low reverse . reverse on these trucks is a 6 to 1 ratio very very low,( hope i remember that number, i will look it up later ) like a D 6 cat I believe it was put to me, always let your truck finish shifting before going into any direction, The trans and transfer are what they Military wanted and got, it is amazingly low,And it is working for millions of miles and counting. i have never had a reason to use it, well once, I was stuck to the frame rails, Low and my very hard working deuce got it out, I brought the 5 ton incase i got the deuce stuck, of course it went the other way :) With that said I have run low around my shop also and listened, and found like it said in the studys from AM general, Army and Allison, It is robust and works, driver error is the official problem all found by 3 separate studys, and they were proven right when training became more involved into how to treat such a drive train on such a tactical vehicle.And the problem went away . If you need low use it, if you are worried , don't. Never let your trans slam by not waiting for it to finish changing direction before hitting the gas, also these are old tech now, drive it with respect and like the tactical vehcle it is... and it will out last all of use just like the deuces that were said to be failing in vietnam, another report proven wrong,

Cinman37

Just an update I was able to re-route the airline from the in cab switch directly to the front wheel drive cylinder on the t-case bypassing the malfunctioning switch on the t-case range selector cable. The front axle engages and disengages fine. Just glad my truck is back on the road.