• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help.

larry sheesley

Hi Everbody from Johnston Iowa
I spent 31 years on active duty and last year bought a Blazer from gov Liq and just last week I purchased the matching 3/4 ton trailer. My wife thinks I am crazy because it has no air, carpet, radio, etc. I have put a radio in it and I am in the process of ordering the insulation and carpet from LMC. Hope it fits ok? I am in need of some assistance in that the rear latch assembly just spins and I took off the back panel on the inside and the gears or scissors gears look well greased and ok but I believe the problem is in the crank assembly where it goes into the gear assembly is broke. I need some advice on how to fix, repair, or replace the mechanism so I can get the window up and down. I love the vehicle and I am glad that there is a site out there, Steel Soldiers, that I can go to for help. I will visit the classified adds to get whatever parts I need. I did find a lady in WI that has original GM fuel filters and housings witht he fittings cheaper than any auto parts store in Des Moines thanks for listening to my rambling and keep up the site guys!!

ABN173

Welcome to the site Larry!

I don't mean to insult you, but you do know that you need rotate the key around to "unlock" and engage the crank right? I can ask this because it took me a bit to figure mine out when I first bought my M1009. LOL

Good Luck,
Dale

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search. There is a couple of threads with photos. Once apart, it's quite easy to fix. LMC does have the parts.

Screamer27

Larry, is my dad, He has had the thing for a year, but this past winter the window froze, and my Fiance' tried rolling the window down on it, and it was froze shut, all of a sudden, SNAP. Hasn't moved since. I've done searches for him, and there are many threads about it, some with great pictures. I have yet to find one though that actually tells you how the handle comes off. Most if not all tell you to "remove the handle" He has the back panel off inside the vehicle so you can see thte sizzor deal, but I still can't quite figure out how the handle itself pulls out. Currently if you turn the key, the whole lock cylinder falls out.

Bobert

When I got my m1009 the crank would just spin and catch the gears every once in a while. I ended up ordering a whole new mechanism from LMC for around $110.

Mine is not the locking type though. I do have an extra regulator if you need one or parts.

The only k5s in the junkyards I have found around here have a power rear window.

Good to see another guy from the Des Moines area.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Larry, is my dad, He has had the thing for a year, but this past winter the window froze, and my Fiance' tried rolling the window down on it, and it was froze shut, all of a sudden, SNAP. Hasn't moved since. I've done searches for him, and there are many threads about it, some with great pictures. I have yet to find one though that actually tells you how the handle comes off. Most if not all tell you to "remove the handle" He has the back panel off inside the vehicle so you can see thte sizzor deal, but I still can't quite figure out how the handle itself pulls out. Currently if you turn the key, the whole lock cylinder falls out.

Ah, more info, good. Sounds like a new clutch is needed. The handle attaches with two nuts located beneath the regulator. Refer to figures 177 & 178 of the -34P TM. It also helps to have an LMC catalog handy to reference the illustrations.
The regulator will have to be unscrewed, but not removed, from the tailgate in order to access the handle nuts. It’s not going to fun with the gate in the up position so, open up the access panel and roll the window down so you can lower the tailgate. Once the gate is down (I suggest supporting it) move the window to the “raised” position and BE SURE TO SUPPORT IT ALSO!!! You can then unscrew the regulator and move it side to side to access the handle nuts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe if you replace your transmission vacuum valve, it will help?

Oh, I have them for sale in the classifieds too!

CUCV Vacuum Valves

Marschmallow

I recently purchased the rear window crank parts from LMC. Currently LMC had a quality control problem due to my complaint, they have no lock cylinder with key's available. they could not give me a replacement, or a date when a new shipment from overseas would arrive.
Take the time to take apart the mechanism, and only order the parts you need, it will save you. with the window up 90% of the way, undo 4 hex head bolts that hold the window mech. then lift and slide down the mechanism assembly, this will allow you access to the 2 nuts on back side of crank handle assembly, also, to undo these 2 nuts there are cutout holes in inside of gate that allow you to use a long extension and socket, rather than trying to squeeze your hand in there.
The LMC catalog has good pictures of how the assembly goes together, also feel around in the bottom of the gate for fallen parts that may be usable

Last edited:

Screamer27

You guys are great, I'll probably get conned into taking it apart this weekend.
DogHead- The TH400 went out about 8 months ago, so it got rebuilt and has a new valve, nice though ;)

wikallen

How can you sleep at night living in Johnston? I would be constantly trying to find a larger property to hold all the things I would "have to" buy from Camp Dodge.

I bet if you jumped on a K5 forum, you will find all kinds of photos, instructions, and spare parts from someone. I can't help you much, the Suburban I used to own back in the day had the ambulance doors instead of the tailgate.

Oh, and I am over here in the Loo