• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some info on Rome Plows

historyfanatics

Okay, I realize that this may be in the wrong forum. But, I do know that Rome Plows had some armor on them. :-D

I had the wonderful idea (at 4AM) that I should replicate a Viet Nam era Rome Plow. So, I looked through the web, and found some info. Which is why I am here. To get more info.

I acquired a couple of manuals on track-dozers and such. And, a couple of very grainy photos showing the dozers on flatbeds.

What I need to know is the model of dozer, how they were transported, the configuration of the cab, etc. You know, the standard stuff.

I am planning on incorporating all of this into a display with the quad .50 gun truck (ADA) I am currently working on. BTW, anybody know where I can acquire a quad mount for less than $16K?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Robert
www.HistoryFanatics.net

Chief_919

I have seen pictures of them on Cat D7's, probably D7D's or D7E's, and D5's of the same vintage. To get any serious work done you would need it on the D7. When I first got in the USAR back in 92 we had one that we could use with our D7G's, I have no idea how old it was but it was old and "off the books".

Chief_919

Ok, I'll bite....what is this "Rome Plow" ? never heard the term? The rest of you guys pay attention too........and a Roman Plow looks like......?
It is a blade that replaces the normal blade on a bulldozer to use it for clearing trees and brush. It is an open frame that allows dirt and small things to pass, but rips up small trees and brush.

Great for clearing fields of fire or roadsides in the jungle.

They got the name because they were made in Rome Georgia.

gusto1

Before the use of Civilian Tree Clearing machinery was widely available many construction companys used them to clear new roadways, subdivisions, etc., around North and South Carolina. I have seen many at use on civilian projects in the 80's and early 90's but not lately. Most were on CAT D8's

andyindy

What you are describing sounds like a brush rake. I've worked with a vietnam vet and he talked about '' Roman plows''. He described it as two giant '' shaped like jacks, the kind kids play with'' steel I beams , an x if you will, with two more legs at right angles to the x. 12' or more in diameter,made in the field. These were attached together with ships anchor chain, and hooked to two D8's, one one each end,side by side. Seems as tho he said it was 150 ,200 foot wide with the jacks spaced equally between the 8's and each other . They would then pull this thu the jungle tearing out everthing in its path.He said it would start rolling every thing up in a giant ball, looked like a twister went thru, nothing left standing. When they eventually couldnt pull it any more, un hook the 8,s then burn it , and start over. Mike is the only one I've heard talk about something like this. Andy.....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to find a Cat D7 of the appropriate Viet Nam era, and go from there. Military tractors are out there, but are not always easy to find. I would recommend a D7E 48A or 47A series. They were hauled on M172 trailers by M123 ten tons. To up-armor, 1/4 plate could be welded to the ROPS canopy. Finding the tractor and the plow will be a challenge. Start by buying the "Heavy Equipment Trader" at your local stop and rob. Tractors this old are considered "ranch tractors" come up for sale all the time for around $15,000. As mentioned earlier, the Rome plows have been replaced by machines that grind brush to chips, so somewhere a contractor has a plow they are no longer using and may need to sell it. I would love to see your finished product. I am restoring a WWII D7 7M series for similar reasons.

vtdeucedriver

Do your research on the 62nd Engineers in Vietnam. They used rome plows. I have a good "internet" friend who is a vet of the 62nd and he worked rome plows in RVN.

Also check out Dave Doyles first issue as Editor of the Supply line, on the cover was a rome plow of the 62nd being pulled by one of their M123's. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT!!!!! Outstandind idea!!! Another untold story about vietnam being preserved!!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
we just put our d7s and 8s on old fashon rodgers lowbeds, pulled by a 5t, a little over loaded, but never a problem the rome plow was basicly a special angle blade, it had a sharp snout at tje foreward end for sherring big trees, then a cutting edge along the angle, about a foot of mole board up from the cuttimg edge then it was open like a root rake, we had them on both 7s and 8s
the chain thing we had was a big round chunk of iron with swivels at each end that hooked to anchor chain. we used 8s to pull , we would first use the the chain to knock down the brush, then the rome plows to clear, the chain also work great to clear mines, none of our dozers had any up armor

historyfanatics

Ok, thanks for the help on this one. I am continuing the research. I located my manuals on mounting the different plows and such, plus a Navy manual for Equipment Operator with a couple of photos.

I'll try all the places that all y'all came up with. Especially the Equipment Trader.

As the 10-ton tractors are oversize (permit required), I wondered if it would be okay to pull the trailer with a 5-Ton (M52-series). I found one of those fairly close by, in good shape, and cheap enough to acquire. I just don't have any place to put it right now.

Robert
www.HistoryFanatics.net

KaiserM109

Ok, I'll bite....what is this "Rome Plow" ? never heard the term? The rest of you guys pay attention too........and a Roman Plow looks like......?
They were special purpose bull dozer blades designed for clearing jungle, forest, etc. They got their name from their place of manufacture, Rome, GA.

Okay, I realize that this may be in the wrong forum. But, I do know that Rome Plows had some armor on them. …
I suspect that there were many variations since the name really refers to the blade in front.

The 15th Combat Engineer Bn, 9th Infantry Div. deployed to Vietnam in June, 1967 with about a dozen Rome Plows mounted on D8 Cats, no armor other than a serious cage over the driver and guard. The primary purpose of the cage was to protect the 2 men on the dozer from falling limbs and occasionally snakes.

We hauled them around on lowboy trailers pulled by 5 ton tractors.

I recently opened a box of pictures that has been sealed since 1969 and may have pics. I will post pic’s of them and any other vehicles I find.

Arlyn

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you want to replicate the whole nine yards (machinery and prime movers) I know where there are two 123's that can prob be had by weight (they are owned by a scrap dealer).
One is in decent shape, the other is prob a parts truck but they both still have the winches.
The sheet metal is pretty good on both. Located near me in NE Ala.
BTW...I am located about 35 miles from Cedartown, GA. (just below Rome) Part of the factory that produced the Rome Plows is still there.....there may actually still be some parts there. The facility is no longer in operation but there is a butt load of steel parts inside the fence.

AIE1

Here is a D7E, 75E series, the 48A is a civilian version, the military used the D7E 75E serial number machines, there are a number of them in private hands. The difference is cowling, and blade operating controls are slightly different. The 75E's had provisions for a gunners seat and rifle rack on the hood, plus there are tie down loops on the track frames. Might be some other small differences, but that is all I remember now.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this looks like a great project d-7 are an awsome machine to run but keep in mind with a 10 ton or 5 ton moving it is going to require a permit looks like a great project would love to have one :twisted:

deuceman51

2 years ago I went to the reunion of the Vietnam Landclearers here in SD. I am personal friends with the commander Col. Monfore who commanded the 62nd LC in Vietnam. If you look up the Vietnam Landclearers association website you will find tons of pictures of their Rome Plows. As stated before the Rome plow got it's name from the company in Rome GA who produced them. It is basically a angled dozer blade with a "Stinger" or Beam that sticks out at the point to rip through the root system of the tree as the rest of the dozer then is able to push the tree over. Or in some cases the tree pushed the dozer over, lol. There is also a book that was published by one of the vets called "Clearing Vietnam". They have some good pictures in the book. Last but not least, The Engineer Museum located at FT. Leonard Wood has an actual Vietnam "Rome Plow" outside and i'm sure they could help with some more detailed photos.