• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some input and help on 5 ton 6x6 purchase from GL

muad

Hey guys/gals.

The wife and I are looking at 5 ton and 2.5 ton 6x6 diesels on GL, and being a noob to these things I'm not sure what I need.

I see two type of motors listed, both seem to be 6 cylinders. One is a Cummins, the other a CAT.

I've read about guys running straight used motor oil, kerosene, gas/used motor oil mix, biodiesel, etc., etc.

Which motor is best suited for multi-fuel operation, and is there anything I should look for? The units I'm looking at are in Ohio, which is good. All of them run too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

-Will

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys/gals.

The wife and I are looking at 5 ton and 2.5 ton 6x6 diesels on GL, and being a noob to these things I'm not sure what I need.

I see two type of motors listed, both seem to be 6 cylinders. One is a Cummins, the other a CAT.

I've read about guys running straight used motor oil, kerosene, gas/used motor oil mix, biodiesel, etc., etc.

Which motor is best suited for multi-fuel operation, and is there anything I should look for? The units I'm looking at are in Ohio, which is good. All of them run too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

-Will
The Hercules , White or Continental .

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CATs and the big block Cummins only like straight diesel.

The older 5-tons (M52, M54, etc) had a multi-fuel engine in them but they are doggy for the size of truck.

The M35A2 dueces also have the multi-fuel. The M35A3 has the CAT which doesn't like mixed fuel.

You need to decide what you want the truck for and what you plan on doing with it. That will help decide which one is right for you.

muad

The CATs and the big block Cummins only like straight diesel.

The older 5-tons (M52, M54, etc) had a multi-fuel engine in them but they are doggy for the size of truck.

The M35A2 dueces also have the multi-fuel. The M35A3 has the CAT which doesn't like mixed fuel.

You need to decide what you want the truck for and what you plan on doing with it. That will help decide which one is right for you.
Thank you Sir.

This will be a multi purpose vehicle used to haul wood, stone, pull a live stock trailer at some point, and also will be our BOV vehicle. Hence the reason I want a multi fuel setup.

It will also be a "project truck", and at some point I may try and do something like this: