• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some transmission help

Rescue913

I blew the transmission out of my 84 M1009 (TH400 with NP208 ). I have a TH400 in front of me that came from a 1980 suburban with a 454BBC NP205 in it. Will this Th400 work with mt 6.2 and NP208 t case specifically the tail shaft lengths. I apologize i did not have enough time to search for the answer as i am here looking at the suburban transmission now.

Is there anything i will need to change? I am going to reuse the NP208

Last edited by a moderator:

colelkhunter

the transmission will work just fine. The transfer case however will not. 205 and 208 t/c's are not interchangeable. Different input shafts and adapters. My advice would be to ditch the 208 and use the 205 case that is mated to the 400 turbo. It will involve a little fab work and most likely modifying the rear driveshaft but in the end you will have a much stronger setup. The 205 is a gear/gear setup in an iron case. The 208 is an aluminum case with a chain drive. Not nearly as strong.

Rescue913

the np205 is not included with the th400 just the transmission. I need to know if my np208 will fit the th400 that had a 205 on it the transmission does have a 32 spline output on it

DokWatson

The transmission will work, but the torque converter wont. Use the NP205, no point in not using it. Drive shaft will still work.

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

If you are not afraid to take the trans apart swap out the output shaft. for the swap no special tools needed just a little time and knowhow not a real big deal. just a thought if your up for it some are some are not .

rnd-motorsports

just an idea good luck on finding one remember when you find one if not a diesel swap out the gov. from your old one and get a diesel converter the gas will work but the stall is dif. you will not like the dif.