• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need steering box part number

mountnmonty

4X4 diesel van conversion. its a body swap. 1978 chevy van (G20) mounted on a 1987 chevy M1008. i need a steering box part number for a steering box that will bolt onto the M1008 frame with the out at the same angle as the van. please advise

also i am using H2 wheels and need part numbers and source for a schrader valve adapter that clears the axle hubs. I have read through several posts on this subject and it still is not clear which one is compatible with th H2 wheels mounted on a M1008

Mark

cucvrus

:shrugs:How would anyone know that? Definite Hot Rodding and Modification of a different type. What is this vehicle? And what does it have to do with a CUCV? I had a guy mount a Cadillac on an M1009 frame. I ran from him when he ask me to work on it. It was double framed and all. Last I seen it was still sitting out back in the field. Good Luck. What M number are you assigning this thing?

mountnmonty

Here is how it began. A friend of mine has owned the van since it was new. Rather than overhaul and restore the blown motor and shot trans. He asked me to convert it to a 4x4 with diesel engine. I thought about doing that and decided to do this instead. I was navy eod for 20 years, and we work in 4 to 7 man teams alone. Independant of all other military commands due to the nature of our game. I personally drove the m1008 cucv trucks to **** and back. We would load one inside a ch 53 echo helo and suspend one below to get to many of our jobsites/crash disposal sites. Im thinking that m.f. M1008 cucv is the most reliable diesel 4x4 i have seen. How would you do it?

Jozseph

CUCV Parts Manual

It is a 1987 M1008 CUCV. MINUS THE CAB AND BED. WHERE ELSE SHOULD I GO TO FIND KNOWLEDGE BASED EXPERIENCE WITH THE DRIVE TRAIN AND CHASSIS OF A CUCV?

PLEASE ADVISE
If you have not done this yet, go to the CUCV TMs area on this site and download the ;

"GM CUCV Parts and Illustration Catalog 52D"

This will have part numbers for CUCV's.

Regards

Joseph

nyoffroad

mountnmonty;2131122. . How would you do it?[/QUOTE said:
I wouldn't. Have you started this project yet? If not have you checked the wheel base of both vehicles? One or two inches difference is going to be a lot and may mean hacking up the body or have a sky high lift to clear the tires. I can see so many pit falls in this project and encourage you to NOT do it!