• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need the TM for doing dogbones

acesneights1

I'm stuck in jury duty and need the torque specs etc . It's hard to surf them on a tablet. So far went through 6 threads here and 4 tm's and can't find it. Could someone with better acces just post the link to the appropriate TM?
I'm stuck here all day it looks like so it would make good reading as I have to do some tonight.

acesneights1

This truck has a wing plow. It leans badly to pass side. I'm wondering should I jack it level before I install, install with the lean, or split the difference. It will always have the plow so if I install them jacked level it will be stressing them under normal operation....
thoughts ?
i'm thinking either with the lean or split the difference.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Level it out. I always tighten the nut by hand strength with the wrench then hammer tap it a few times till it gets harder till i get the cotter pin to line up.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Lukes_deuce

When i did mine, I made sure everything was level. Dont want them to be stressed when sitting level. Also tighten them with hand tools. I heard of using an impact gun could cause them to spin in the actual dog bone. I do suggest 1 inch drive tools and lots of cheater extensions. I used my 1 inch big impact and had mixed results. I dont really have enough air to properly run it. I ended up grinding off a few of the nuts. Another good tool is a river buster, or small air jack hammer. Works great with a flat chisel in between the dog bone and axle boss. Heat is also your friend.

therooster2001

Assuming the truck is a M939, torque is 350-400 lb

Once you get the cotter pins out, you're home free. I got two off in a salvage yard in 20 min flat, but couldn't do my own in 3 days and had a truck company do it VERY expensively. The TM is the Field Maintenance guide, #3, WP 0544. I have some extra pins if you need them.

Several good threads on castle nut removal and how to get the, off with wood and a wood splitter.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks