• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Tires - M101

Brent13

I am in need of two new tires, preferably some sort of civilian replacement to the Mohawks that are currently on the trailer. I got back from a 400 plus mile trip Sunday. It came and went without incident, so I thought. A co-worker just informed me a chunk of rubber was missing from my driver-side trailer tire. I just went out to look at it. A huge, and I mean HUGE piece of rubber is missing, torn off. I guess 75MPH was a bit much for these tires. I feel pretty lucky now that the darn thing didn't blowup! So, would like to stick with the same size, and will use this trailer for utility purposes. I am not looking to preserve the original appearance, just want to preserve the function. Anyone got a lead on tires? I need to get this done within the next month in order to be ready for deer season in mid-October.

Thanks,
Brent

papercu

Any tire shop will have tires if you have the lock-ring type rims you may need to find a larger tire or truck shop to change them or buy some tire tools. Wayne

Brent13

What might this set me back? I will glady go with fresher military tires if they can take 75MPH? Maybe I will run the trailer down to a tire shop and get a quote. I would take just the tire if I could get the &($&@)$#* lug-nuts off..... I am looking to go cheap, yet safe.

Brent

papercu

I don't know of any military source for that size, you could check MV magazine there may be some there. Tire shop may charge 30.00 and up ea. for changing.
Cheater bar should break the lug free. Wayne

CGarbee

Don't forget that on a M101 or M101A1 (not sure about the A2's) that the hub on the "driver's" side/street side/left depending on how you want to call it will have left hand threads... Unless somebody has changed the studs...

Meanwhile, any of the tires that I have listed on my site for use with a M37 will fit as they are the same wheel. STA Superlugs, Co-Op Grip Spurs are both available in your part of the world and you might want to check with Bryan Sage as he might know of some sources/tires in your area in particular as he is in CO.

I've pulled a M101 with NDT's at 75MPH without any issues, but the tires were fresh...

Good luck.

Carter

Denman Tire Co. has military design NDTs available. I contacted them and located a supplier locally and avoided shipping cost. Check them out at the bottom of this page. Although listed as tubeless I installed tubes and flaps and put them on my M101 and have had no problems at all at highway speed. Carter
http://www.denmantire.com/catalog/p18.pdf

Wolf.Dose

These military tires are made for a maximun speed of 60 mph according to tire and rim US standards. Even new tires you will blow up, if your tire pressure is set at the military tire pressure. Mine are at 30 KPa or a little more and are some 40 years old and work. 30 KPa is about double (without exact calculation) of the military 25 PSI.
Wolf from Germany

Brent13

And another angle I maybe should look at. Are there any civilian wheels that will fit this beast? Dodge, Chevy, Ford, any out there that will fit? Anyone gone this route? With a different wheel maybe my tire options become greater. I have a request in to Denman Tires for a price on their military 9.00-16 ND tire. I will probably puke when I hear the price.

Thanks,
Brent

OK Brent, you've probably got the same wheels that I've got on my M116. 5 lug 7 x 16 I think.
After much searching and contemplation, I 've found there is nothing to replace the wheels except custom made. Very expensive!
I recently purchased STA Superlugs locally wholesale. They look pretty bada$$. About $325 for the pair.
I'm going to keep the split ring wheels and have them powdercoated.
This seams to be the best way to go for me.

Good luck,
Bill

CGarbee

The five lug Budd wheel used on the M101/M101A1 is a 6.50Hx16 semi drop center Budd with a GY-LTS lock ring... I have the engineering drawing for it on my website (along with lug nut, lug studd, and other info from a Budd Catalog and from a Tire and Rim Association Yearbook.

The M101A2 (the version with the surge brakes) used the eight lug hub/wheel assembly that was found on the CUCV's. I've not paid enough attention to them to tell you what size they are.

m376x6

Hey Brent, try Premier Tire Terminal or TDS. They are located in Denver but also may have sites in Springs. The wheel you are using on the M101 and M101A1 are the Budd Five Hole rim used on the M37. There are no substitutes unless you get a custom made wheel. The best size is of course 9.00-16. Either a Q or P 16 tire will work. Be careful though, if using a radial tire on these rims that are tube type, you must use a radial rated tube and flap(boot). The heat generated by the radial when flying around at 75 will destroy a bias rated tube. If you would prefer, I make tubeless rims for this bolt pattern from LAV wheels. I know Foree Tire up here in Denver has the Power King directional 9.00-16 tire. They are now tubeless as well now, and if I recall correctly, they are tubeless bias ply tires that would work just fine with regular tubes. The trailers will work even with a 7.50-16 tire, they look like bicycle tires, but I have seen them mounted on there. Send me a PM if you need any help. I'm up near Idaho Springs.

Regards,
Bryan

Brent13

Thanks for all the help so far....

I just called Premier Tire in Denver. They have the McCreary in stock for $191ea. Would this be a good tire? Can I reuse my current tubes? I believe he said this tire required a tube.

Attachments

CGarbee

RE: Thanks for all the help so far....

Any tire will require a tube in the stock wheel as it is not airtight. You also need a flap. The McCreary (the company actually is Specialty Tire of America) is a great tire, and is of the correct type/specifications.

You can reuse the tube/flap that are currently in use on your trailer if they are in good shape. Personally, I like to get new ones so everything is fresh, but that's me... :)

These tires are of bias construction, so you can use either bias or radial tubes/flaps.

Also, you may notice that the max inflation per McCreary is 50lbs, TM for the trailer is for 40lbs for highway use. Either is good, the lower number is fine for when the trailer is empty as it will reduce wear on the center rib, use the higher number at higher speeds/loads.

I've likely run as many McCreary/STA NDT or NDCC tires on smaller stuff as I have any other brand. On the larger trucks (2.5 ton and bigger) I have a preference for Titan...

Is that price including mounting??

Brent13

That price is just per tire. I called back and asked about mounting up a split rim. Was told $45ea for mounting. Sounds high to me, but I have no idea what it takes to mount a tire on these wheels.

Will this tire take 70-75mph on the highway??? That is all that is holding me back at this point. And coming up with $500. I may look into the Power Kings also, see if they are less money.

If anyone else can recommend other tires for less money, I am all ears.

Brent

CGarbee

I've run them, with a fully loaded trailer, at 50psi, for many a mile at 75mph behind my Cummins powered M37 without any problems...

You're talking more money than folks in my area charge, but then, I'd be doing them myself anyway... Procedure to mount/demount is the same as for a deuce tire (there are a couple threads in that forum with nice process descriptions that include photos, but I wouldn't advise it as a project for a tyro...I'd suggest that you have a shop do it the first time so that you can observe the process and ask questions before you attempt it on your own, or get help from someone who has qualified experience.

BSH

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Cabell Garbee - font of experience and dispenser of wisdom. I doff my hat (mentally) every time I read a post and I learn something new every time. Thanks to you, sir.

knattrass

Cabell is right on - I took my M37 down and the truck tire place pounded the tires off with 12 pound mauls! They inflate them slowly in a cage and the guy showed me where the ceiling rafters bent when one got away from them. Reminds me when a B52 rim had let go (just slightly bigger..ha, ha) took out the side of a block building. Not something for the DYI. I was charged $15 to unmount/$20 to mount and used new NDTs/flaps/tube. STA's price moved up thou - I paid $160 per tire, $10/flap, and $15/tube = $185. I still have 5 unmounted tires for sale at what I paid. Hope this helps - Keith