• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to check wiring

Sarge29

I finally have the 998 about ready to test drive. Before I put power on the truck again I would like to check the wiring for anything that may cause more problems. Last time I tried this I had a EESS box failure and had to replace all glow plugs and the EES box as well. I have used the ohm meter to check the body and engine harnesses for short and ground faults. I am getting a reading on the glow plug circuit, fuel stop solenoid, and the cold advance circuit on the engine harness. I get a dead short on the park brake circuit when the park brake is on, but this clears when the brake is off. Everything else checks clear on both harnesses. I think everything is OK from what I can tell by looking at the wiring schematic in the TM but want to be sure before I connect the batteries again. Is there anything that I am missing?

Sarge29

The first PCB was a SSI that would not fire the glow plugs. Everything else seemed to work OK. So then I put in a used KDS Yellow label box. That is the box that failed and fried the plugs.Now I have a new KDS Green label box to go in and I just didn't want to take any chances on something in the harness causing another failure.

Sarge29

I did make up an aux grounding harness and install it. I may have went a little overboard with it because I grounded everything that I thought may need a ground. I cleaned all points of contact and used dielectric grease on everything. Thanks for the reminder.
Sarge29

nattieleather

I don't have any experience with HMMWV wiring harnesses, but I do with MVs in general and it always seems to be the #1 problem with MV wiring is grounding. So make sure your grounds are good and that you have star tooth washers at those points to dig into the ground spot. Other than that go by the numbers and check everything tests ok.

Sarge29

Maiden Voyage

Well after many hours of work and several busted knuckles I took the 998 for a test run. Everything went good. Still need some parts but it is starting to come together.

Attachments

Sarge29

Thanks. This hobby sure does get into your blood and deep into pocket. I have been at this for over 20 years and still cant get the green fever cured. How do you tell what glass fits the windshield frame? I don't plan on armor so I was thinking about having auto glass cut to fit. Now I need to locate the windshield glass retainers and a few other pieces

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you have the right rubbers for the right glass. Ballistic glass wont work in normal rubbers, nor vice versa. Bottom line, check your NSN's.

hotdogs151a2

Hey Sarge29:
Thanks for posting the video of the road test. I know how much time and money
you have put into that 998. You have done a great job as always.
Thanks, Your Friend Hotdog

Sarge29

Thanks Hotdog, This is different from any other Mil vehicle that I have ever worked on. It is a challenge to get everything right the first try. Some of the small stuff will trip you up. just like the rear wheel camber (not sure why I said caster earlier). I found one of the lower ball joints mounted on top of the control arm. I finally got it moved to the bottom, now I just have to move the truck around a little :driver: to see how it settles down. Hopefully that is all ti will take to get the camber back in line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks