• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to know this problem and how to fix it TODAY!

RedneckMilenko

I'm sorry everyone, I know posting something as urgent as this may be frowned upon but my situation it very critical (to me anyway). I was driving from Memphis to Oxford MS to work this morning and blew the transmission up in my Z71. So I'm needing to get my M1009 on the road immediately but I'm having a few issues with it. I fixed my shifting problem with a new modulator valve but now once I get up to high RPM and come to a stop the motor is shutting off on me. I will include it has an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical and I also use the diesel from drums in my back yard I got a few years back. I checked all my fluids and I'm good, overheating dummy light isn't coming on, but she revs weird sometimes like she's jumping at the gun to take off. It'll drive fine then when I slow down to stop she shuts off. I didn't install the fuel pump, guy who owned it before me did and put it under the hood. It's also a transfer pump, not a pump made for inline use. I feel like it's a fuel issue but I don't know enough about it to make a good call. Also, when I took the cap off the oil fill I had a little bit of what looked like smoke coming out of it. Please, any useful insight is appreciated. I'm an apprentice electrician with the union so we're easy to replace, I can't afford not being able to get to work but I also can't afford to blow up a motor in a truck and have a blown transmission in the other.

V8Astro

Sounds like you already know where to start. If that pump isn't supposed to be used a lift pump ditch it! That can only complicate things. A little smoke/oil vapor/condensation out of the oil filler isn't unusual.

Make double sure your "oil drum fuel" isn't contaminated with water (or anything else for that matter).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: You probaly should replace the fuel filter also and drain the tank and start with fresh diesel to eliminate issues with contaminated fuel .

RedneckMilenko

Yeah, I was afraid that was the problem. It's strange because I've been running this fuel for 2 years now, but my truck has been sitting up for about 7 months being as I had to rebuild the front end, batteries, alternators, starter, and fixing the radiator. So in that time I guess I could've gotten water in my drums. I just couldn't really see any other reason it'd do that because it'll crank right up after shutting off. I was also thinking it could be the fuel delivery. She'll get up to high RPM but when I let off the accelerator completely is when it shuts off, I figured if there was water in the fuel I'd have a harder time getting her to go.

Gunzy

If it is restarting without any trouble you may have a lockup solenoid sticking in the trans. This would stall the truck because the torque will be locked. Similar to stopping a manual trans without pushing in the clutch. A way to test this is to put it in neutral before stopping, if it doesn't stall it may be a lockup problem.

RedneckMilenko

Is the lock up solenoid something that can be replaced with the trans still in the truck? I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous about opening up an automatic transmission.

Gunzy

True, TH400 has no lockup. Forgot the CUCV's are TH400's. Sorry about that. But to answer, a lockup solenoid can be changed in vehicle.

RedneckMilenko

Yeah, I'm going to give it a try but at the moment I'm calling around trying to find the best price on an electric lift pump and am about to head out to drain my tank. I just found out this weekend that it's actually a transfer pump on there so haven't had much time to locate a better replacement.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm wondering if the previous owner changed the pump to try to solve a problem, like a bad IP.

What "transfer pump" is on it now?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick google search shows,

Mr. Gasket MICRO ELECTRIC Diesel FUEL PUMPS, 12-volt electric transfer pump is safe for diesel fuel use. Simple 2 wire design, gravity fed type pump, includes 100 micron in line filter. 4-7psi 35GPH, small universal design allows easy set and installation anywhere.
Solid state worry free electronics, 12 volt negative ground systems only.

I dont see a problem with it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Product Description:

Mr. Gasket MICRO ELECTRIC Diesel FUEL PUMPS, 12-volt electric transfer pump is safe for diesel fuel use. Simple 2 wire design, gravity fed type pump, includes 100 micron in line filter. 4-7psi 35GPH, small universal design allows easy set and installation anywhere.
Solid state worry free electronics, 12 volt negative ground systems only. *NOT FOR FUEL INJECTED APPLICATIONS*

Gravity feed? So that means the former owner mounted the pump under the fuel tank, right? That tells me the it does not have enough guts to pull fuel out of a tank.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that is what is meant by gravity feed.

I'd contact the manufacturer.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I called tech support(the number was in those instructions), and they said indeed, it must be gravity fed(it will not suck).

I question that, but that was what they said. I wonder what is different with this pump than the others that do suck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks