• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need to lighten my m105a2

Oldfart

Your route is none of my business, but I have been all 3+ ways many times and it really depends on the weather. And Then there is the wind that seems to blow all the time through there. Immigrant Canyon is a bit of a climb and then you have the Twin Sisters on I80. I have seen more fatalities on that bit of road between Evanston and Rock Springs than anywhere else except in front of my own farm. True that route avoids the double hump of Vail Pass and Eisenhower tunnel (and Floyd Hill to boot), but sometimes it is just as easy to come across to Albuquerque and then head up I25 to Denver. About all you have to climb that route is Raton Pass. (Or sneek up through Taos to Ft. Garland and come over La Veta pass to I25.) I would probably roll the dice on the route decision just before heading out the door considering the weather forecasts.

3dAngus

If the M101 won't do, I would sell the M105 and just get a used 16' flatbed on craigslist. You can get one for $1000 or less, then resale it for what you paid for it when you get to the destination. You pocket the M105 money, dump the oversized and overweight trailer which is of no value to you, pick up a nice flat bed with drive up ramps. and resell with no loss. The $1000 fee for Uhaul is ridiculous, modifying a M105 isn't safe and will hurt the resale value, the M101 is not timely, and you have better weight carrying capacity and retained value with the 16' flatbed. I have purchased several and the weight is no where close to the M105. It is a much better utility vehicle than most military trailers for on road trailering.

MV type trailers are NOT the only way to go, and often are counterproductive when using civilian vehicles to tow with.

BTW, the 16 foot flatbeds with ramps, usually have dual axles for safety, electric brakes on one axle, and usually will carry 5000 lbs, but I try to keep it down to 4000lbs max on mine. Have done that many times and pulling with a Chevy P/u that is just a six cylinder. No problems yet. Be sure the tires are good and road worthy, and have a spare.

The trailers listed below, in So Cal. would sell for about $900 in my area.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/2309472123.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/2305604555.html

Last edited:

kc5mzd

Electric trailer brakes use magnets that grab the side of the drum. The resistance pushed against a brake shoe which slows the trailer. I don't think there is a easy way to convert a m105 to electric brakes. If you want a military trailer the m101 would be better for you. I have seen more m101 trailers for sale recently online and at auctions.
I agree if you don't have a matching military truck a civy trailer is the way to go. I would check around at landscaping places like Lowes / Home Depot for something small light cheep and NEW...

amaverick88

I agree with 3dangus on the utility trailer. Not only is it civilian wired and brakes on it so you can hook up and go withouttinkering with it to make itwork. Also it is Moe versatile with the ramps on it. It isalso lowerto theground to make loading and unloading g easier.but we areall grown adults and can makes our own decisions.

amaverick88

That is nice but pricey as well. You also meed to have a brake controlmler in your landcruiser to control it looks like parts price for everything needed is going to be close to a grand. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Tlauden

Agreed with the civi trailer idea..... Heavy trailers and light trucks don't mix well... Just today I was pulling a 25ft chicken rack trailer with my f150... Slowing down for a sharp downhill turn it pushed my truck to the point I was nervous half way thru the turn....

Just want to see you make the trip safely!

ichudov

What I personally did is, I started with M105A2 bed (just a bed), and added a frame and regular 6k lb trailer wheels underneath.

I had this trailer for 3 years and I am very happy with it.

Look here for pictures:

Homemade Trailer With M105A2 Bed

Regarding your own situation, I would personally suggest doing an axle swap, it is not that expensive or difficult, and you can gain electric braking capability very easily and lower this trailer quite a bit.

I got my axle at Dexter axle, it was painless.

It is a great trailer in all respects, EXCEPT that it sits way too high.

Regarding resale value: Who cares about it? This M105A2 is a $200 trailer (this is what I paid to GL for a full working trailer with canopy bars recently), cheaper than scrap metal value. I got it for $200, got the canopy bars that I wanted, got the better tailgate to replace the one I ruined, and resold it 3 days later for $250 in cash.

Why worry so much about its resale value?

i:grin:

Last edited:

VillageRugger

A couple of leaves aren't going to remove that much weight. 105's are just heavy, there are not enough parts to remove to reduce the weight enough without removing the bed. If you do that, whats the point of owning a 105 to begin with.
I'm in the same boat trying to lighten an m105A2. In regards to why choose a 105 over other types, I can give you a couple reasons why I bought one even though they are heavy: 1. Cost - I picked up one in good condition for $350 vs. $700-1000 for a 101 or a 116. 2. Availability - There are usually 6-12 at auction at once vs 1 every couple months for a lighter trailer. 3. Width - They are narrow compared to the m1101's. This means you can go more places.

VillageRugger

Fill the tires with helium.:-? Just kidding. I would swap it out with a m101 which weighs about 1200 pounds less. you will have a little less cargo space, but just pile it higher. Also the newer ones have surge brakes on them, no need for an electric brake controller.
Unfortunately, m101's are more expensive, and harder to get. Unless you have an extra on laying around...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks