• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to replace diodes on armature of mep002a

mtfleming

I'm not the best solderer in the world. Directions said use low temperature solder. Is it labeled as such? Where can I get diodes? Mouser couldn't help me.

Guyfang

Staff member
Look in the Internet, type in the diode number. You can ask at an electronics store for the solder. Or in the Internet.

Let your soldering iron get hot, before you star to work dip the tip into your solder paste, let it heat up a bit, then wipe off the tip. Try and keep the tip clean and bright. Use solder paste. Look into YouTube for soldering tips and tricks. You can learn a lot by watching.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

Guyfang, you're referring to non-corrosive soldering flux when you say "solder paste", correct? Or do you mean solder paste that's ground up solder, mixed with non-corrosive flux?

tstone

It is best to use a heat sink between the electrical component and the termination where the solder connection will be made. A heat sink can be as simple as an alligator clip or anything else that will absorb heat close to the component to protect it against excessive heat while soldering. Make your soldered connection as quick as possible to reduce heat transfer to the diode. Hope this helps.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang, you're referring to non-corrosive soldering flux when you say "solder paste", correct? Or do you mean solder paste that's ground up solder, mixed with non-corrosive flux?
I meant non-corrosive soldering flux. One day I will forget how to say my own name in English.

Triple Jim

No problem at all, I just wondered which you were recommending. It must be very interesting to spend years in a country where you speak your native language so little. I'm used to talking to people in the US who moved here from non-English speaking countries, but not the other way around.

Guyfang

Staff member
I try to speak as much english as I can, but sometimes, the word just won't come out. Got it down pat in german, but the english just won't drop. Later, its just as clear as a bell. When I don't need it anymore. All of my American buddies are the same way. All of us start a conversation in english, and end it in german. Or we are yacking away, in both languages. Some people have the knack. I know a woman, who came over here and in 3 years, became perfect. Now she loves to go places, and master the dialect. We were sitting in a gasthaus, eating, and she was only concentrating on the folks around us. Later that night, she started talking to them, and they had absolutely no idea that she was not only not from the area, but a foreigner. I will never be that good. Hearing loss is too bad. But I can fool people for a bit.

Triple Jim

Cool about the woman. Language and dialects are fascinating. I've known a couple German born people here who sounded only slightly different from locals. Sometimes it gets so close that you can't be sure it it's because the person isn't a native, or just speaks a little differently.

End of Hijack

mtfleming

Got national stock numbers for the two diodes that I need. Found one on eBay but unable to cross reference them to get the other one. Does anyone have a good source for them? Numbers are:
5961-01-050-7048 and 5961-01-054-4151.
Thanks

pjwest03

Remember not to get them mixed up. The 1N1204A is cathode to the case. 1N1204RA is anode to the case. Essentially they are the same part, just with the polarity reversed.

Guyfang

Staff member
Easiest way is to not remove the old ones until you are ready to install the new ones. Sounds stupid, but having seen this happen more than one time..................................

Crap happens!!

Guyfang

Staff member
We used good old "shoe tags" to label the connectors. If you do it often enough, you learn the wire numbers. I haven't rewired an S1 TQG switch in a long, long time, but can still remember most of the wire numbers, and where they go. The only problem with tagging as you remove wires is that if someone before you hooked up something wrong, so will you. I learned a long time ago, to check every wire against the wire diagrams.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks