• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to replace the Pitman and Idler Arm ? correct part # ?

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After inspection today I found both the Pitman and Idler Arm need replacement. My trucks a 1988 M998 ...seems there multiple part numbers for both parts. This is the two #'s I came up with - Good #'s ?

Steering Gear Arm 2530012528362

Steering Idler Arm 2530012491577

dilvoy

Those parts were upgraded at some point and you might not find the originals these days. The Hummers used the upgraded parts, which included the drag link. These fit right where the smaller originals went. Tie rods have not changed as far as the tapered stud goes so no worry there. You might look for Hummer parts and try to find what you need from there if the part numbers match up.

dilvoy

The early idler arms look really spindly, but with out a photo to even make a guess, I think using the NSN Number from your Data Plate and then finding the corresponding UOC Number will get you the parts that are correct for your Humvee, most likely.
If the studs from both the idler and pitman seem to go too far through the hole in the drag link and look smaller in overall size than what is on your vehicle, you have the upgraded stuff and you can order idler and a pitman from a 10.3 hummer from lets say before the year 2000. Than just sell the first ones. Lots of upgrades on the Humvees over the years. If it were me, I would want the upgraded items anyway, because they were upgraded for a reason and I would just buy the corresponding drag link if the early one was on the vehicle, but I fix my stuff up to keep it for a long time and that makes things a bit more costly then just changing the worn or damaged part.

suzukovich

So I am going to ask couple of questions. COC for mine is A13. All the upgraded one I have seen are for the 1114 and up. Pitman arm upgrade I have not seen. Mine was rebuilt in 2006 and appears to have the none upgraded parts. So what are the NSN for the upgraded Parts for my COC?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Thecaptain

I actually just replaced these parts on my 1993 m998 - I had the same struggle trying figure out which parts were compatible and/or which parts were prone to premature wear/failure. I purchased these parts and they work great (you'll need to purchase a few extra washers to account for the extra length, I'm pretty sure 3/4" worked, but you can go to your local hardware store and pick some up for a couple of bucks):

Idler: 5745558
Pitman: 6011300

Good luck!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just went through this myself. Look at the front bunch of pages of the parts TM, find out what your code is for your truck, then find the proper parts number in the schematic. I actually ended up buying the wrong two parts, epay had a listing for superseding all others(it didn't, It wasn't for my M1038 and neither of the two parts fit. There were two numbers for the parts in the TM, I had picked the bottom two, Thought they were just substitutes. They weren't, they are for heavier duty vehicles.
H13 is your UOC code for M998 Page 33 of the 1rst parts TM PAOZZ 2530012491577 98349 L-20-MA-133-A-11 IDLER ARM,STEERING,................. 1
UOC:AVY,A11,A13,A14,A15,A20,A24,A25,
A26,A27,B16,B17,B18,HVY,H11,H13,H14,
H15,H16,H17,H18,H20,H21,H24,H25,H26,
H27,H28,MMM

7 PAOZZ 2530012528362 98349 L-20-MA-132-A-11 ARM,STEERING GEAR................... 1
UOC:AVY,A11,A13,A14,A15,A20,A24,A25,
A26,A27,B16,B17,B18,HVY,H11,H13,H14,
H15,H16,H17,H18,H20,H21,H24,H25,H26,
H27,H28,MMM

You have the right two numbers in your first post.

Last edited:

mja

I actually just replaced these parts on my 1993 m998 - I had the same struggle trying figure out which parts were compatible and/or which parts were prone to premature wear/failure. I purchased these parts and they work great (you'll need to purchase a few extra washers to account for the extra length, I'm pretty sure 3/4" worked, but you can go to your local hardware store and pick some up for a couple of bucks):

Idler: 5745558
Pitman: 6011300

Good luck!
Hi Captain, can u tell me where you got these part numbers from and who is the manufacturer? going through same thing. btw if you go to this link, (https://real4wd.com/store/Idler-Arm,-H.D.-Upgrade ) and click on blue font ( figure 170 item 2 ) you can view and even download the parts manual
thanks russell

Thecaptain

It's a moog problem solver. I ordered from hummer parts guy. I don't know much about the parts you linked to. I'm sure there are folks on here who can say whether that will work for you.

Cap

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks