• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to trade my M817 for a small, working dozer/crawler

jblueep

I really, really, really hate to do this, but I need a small, working dozer/crawler much more than I need the dump truck right now. I just got several hundred yards of dirt put on my property, and I found out today that I wasn't supposed to bring in the dirt because I'm technically in the flood plain. So, I have to smooth out the dirt before I get noticed/in trouble with the city/FEMA. :(

I bought my M817 from a city auction last month. It sat for 5 years before I got it, and I haven't tried to loosen the engine or turn it over. It appears to be complete except for the mirrors. Other than the question on the engine, I think it's in very good shape. There is no water in the oil, no visible fluid leaks on the engine, etc. There are 1500 hours on the engine, 35K miles on the truck. The city put entirely new air brakes on it before they parked it.

I'm on the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Please pass this on to anyone you think might be interested. My phone # is 214.454.9370.

I found out the city is auctioning another M817 next year, so maybe I'll get another one then. I hope :)

CGarbee

One word ... "rental"
Go to your local Hertz, Sunbelt, or similar construction equipment rental outfit or your local Cat, Komatsu, or Deere dealer and rent a small (or larger) dozer... They will all deliver, give you a refresher on how to run it, and pick it up when you are done. You get the dirt moved and you get to keep your truck...

Meanwhile, you say that you have not turned the engine over? Anything known to be wrong with it?? I've been in the market for a five ton dump, but if it doesn't run.... And then, you are in Texas, and I need the truck to be in Virginia...

Good luck.

jblueep

The problem with the rental is that I need it for about a month or longer. I have dirt arriving daily from the local power company.
They are putting it new very large transmission poles, and are going to bring several thousand yards. The rental for this would be enormous.

On the engine...When I bought it, the city mechanic told me that the engine was running when it was parked, and that it was their best truck.

But he also said that he tried to turn it over last year, and could not. The consensus on this board was probably that it was hydrolocked, or that the starter was just bad.
If it was a major issue, I think it would have locked up when it was running. I trust the old mechanic because he had no reason to lie to me.

However, I have not tried at all to work on it because of a shortage of time, so I just don't know.

I would be willing to sell it for enough to buy a small dozer/crawler, and at that price, even if the engine was bad, the M817 would still be a good deal I think.

But maybe not if you had to transport across country.

Thanks for the input and the interest.

jblueep

Of course, I'd take cash too if someone came up with an offer that would be reasonable (just enough to get a small, old working dozer/crawler/track loader). What's this truck worth given the information above? I really don't know.

NEIOWA

Re: RE: Need to trade my M817 for a small, working dozer/cra

CGarbee said:
I've been in the market for a five ton dump, but if it doesn't run.... And then, you are in Texas, and I need the truck to be in Virginia...

Good luck.
Good chance will be a qty available in Hattiesburg, MS this fall. In DRMS right now are 34x M809 series w/winch and 37x no winch. Good chance some will make it thru to govliquidation auction.

jblueep

RE: Re: RE: Need to trade my M817 for a small, working dozer

CGarbee,

Definitely makes sense for you to go local if you can. Good luck at the auction.

Just my own knowledge, let's say this truck was local to you, what would you think it's worth given the unknown on the engine? Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks

baja_power

My CAT dealer here does long-term lease on equipment. Rates are reasonable. Considering the fact that you will be running a new (er) machine and they will come out and take care of maintence. How big of a dozer are you looking for?

jblueep

I get to keep my M817 :)

I just found a guy yesterday who is going to trade me dozer work for website work.

Thank you all for your helpl.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

That's great news Jason, congratulations!