• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need U-Joint Identification Help

chigger

I have a unique u-joint that has gone bad. Please help me find the part number. My truck is a 1967 M35A2.

I have a drive shaft from transfer case to axle that has some unique joints. These u-joints are really large 4-1/4" space inside the yoke. These are not the flange style that most trucks have. the retaining clip goes on the inside of the yoke. My trans to x-fer case shaft has the same joints.

These must be rare because I scoured a military junk yard and out of about 100 trucks, I could only find one other truck with these type joints. This really didn't help me find a new replacement though. Please Help. I need to get my truck on the road soon. Thanks.

IMG_5524.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried contacting any of the paid site sponsors(vendors)?

barefootin

Take it out, measure it, and match it up. Mine were the 5-115X and I used 332's from the local Auto Parts store.

I don't know if you have this cross reference link, it is helpful. The U-joints are on here as well. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ce-Spreadsheet.

Below is the 5-115X and its cross reference numbers.

30055, 5-115X, 5115X, 15DS68, 332, 201SJ73, 647869R91, 608194, 2378954, B2TZ4635A, 952371, 73028862

MFG/SERIES:SPICER 1500
A1 LOCK UP:4.55
A2 LOCK UP:4.55
B1 BEARING CAP DIAMETER:1.560
B2 BEARING CAP DIAMETER:1.560
BEARING TYPE:ROUND W/PLATE
CONVERSION:
LUBE FITTING:W/ 1 Lube Fitting In Cross

This should be the tab type;
Neapco 3-0055 U-Joint 1500 Series
Please use the online catalog to select your part numbers

chigger

Pease help. My u-joint is definately not like what is in most M35As2's out there. The U-joint is definat not the "flange" or "Tab" style. The clip is on the inside of the yoke. Here is another picture.
IMG_5523.jpg

barefootin

Pease help. My u-joint is definately not like what is in most M35As2's out there. The U-joint is definat not the "flange" or "Tab" style. The clip is on the inside of the yoke. Here is another picture.
View attachment 518671
Take it apart and see if the groove is in there for the correct u-joint!!!

Most likely someone matched up the dimensions and used what they found. There are many U-joints like the one pictured used on trucks and cars (i.e Super duty F350 front axle) which by the way if you cross reference the one that should be there per the spread sheet that I gave the link to (5-160X) is also used on a 2000 F350 Super Duty Moog pn 330..... If there isn't a grove in the yoke, it is not rocket science for a shop to measure it once they or you remove it and find one that will work.... That style and even mixed (2 clips inside and 2 clips out) is very common.... Follow link and scroll down observing mixed styles as well as the style you seek.

https://www.google.com/search?q=337...inkup.com%2Fshop%2F0-U-joint-166.html;221;225

Last edited:

The air bag in the back makes this truck look like it's been bob . maybe they took this drive line from something else and made it fit ? I would check on going back to original and getting it made longer if needed .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
topo;1610617[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
The air bag in the back makes this truck look like it's been bobbed[/COLOR] . maybe they took this drive line from something else and made it fit ? I would check on going back to original and getting it made longer if needed .
From post # 30 and # 49 it is bobbed and heavily modified.
Should I install a gear vendors overdrive

Last edited:

chigger

It has already been to a driveline shop. There is no match. This part of the driveline has not been modified. The problem at the driveline shop is that the yoke is very large (4-1/4" on the inside). Most U-joints that are large enough to fit inside the yoke have larger diameter caps that won't fit the yoke. I found another one exactly like this one in a military junk yard on another M35A2. Like I said before, it must be very rare since I only found 1 in the entire yard with many trucks. The extra one I found is very stiff, rusted, and very likely no good. The guy at the military junk yard has a theory that these drive shafts may have been specifically used on military 2-1/2 ton dump trucks. He thinks my drive shaft was a heavier duty version for that application.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just get a driveshaft with the common bolt in u-joints at most you may have to change the yokes on the transfer case and differential .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be a combination ujoint used if the driveshaft or yokes were changed with 2 different sized cups. Bring it to a real parts store- NAPA , heavy duty jobber, or an independent parts store. Any store that advertises on the radio is wasting your time....

They can measure cups, cross, length and come up with a u joint. All ujoint catalogs have spec charts in the back to match up. You can also call presicion, Dana- spicer, etc tech lines etc and get catalog assistance.