• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Needed: 1"-20 castle nut

B3.3T

I need a castle nut for a drive shaft that uses a 1"-20 thread. Its been hard to locate. Any help appreciated. Could get by with any nut but castle would be best.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the drive shaft fit? Whats the application?

Could make a nut.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just looked at the chart. With the .9387 minor you could adapt any 15/16 or 7/8 nut with a tap.

NEF Right Hand Taps on Tapco USA

That $ isn't too bad, if they actually have it. Deals may be around .I got a new 1x18 on the online auction site for $25+. Any good machine shop could rethread a nut on a lathe. There isn't much set up time for op like that. I have a SB 13" w/thread cutting but would need to find a cutter for the B bar. That $ would prob match this links tap $. You could ask after exhausting options. (My last internal thread was HS and I prob botched it).

OLDCHEV4X4

Personally, I would never rethread a nut to a different pitch. Unless it is a very low torqe application. If it is a higher torque application, just make a new nut or have one made.
Rethreading a nut will weaken the threads and when you tighten it, the possability of stripping and failing is higher than i would like.
If you run out of options PM me and i will look for a piece of hex stock.

B3.3T

Source for Rockwell parts?

Need a good source for M35 Rockwell axle parts. For starters, I need the 1"-20 nut used to mount the drive shaft flange to the axle.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Copy of e-mail less pic
Still need a nut? I got it(yours) at Frey today. It is a Stover type lock nut
(pinched on 3 flats, grade 8+)....$2.75. I had him check for a used castle
nut. Didn't have one. The nut I got is a std stock item there. He gave me
the last one but put 6 on order for the bin. 1227C939 is the part #.

Last edited:

wvhillbilly

Check out Lawsonproducts.com. Sells the common, and not so common fasteners. Am certain they can help. Have used them since 1992 with great
success. JSH, auto parts store manager.

saddamsnightmare

March 1st, 2009.

Any good local machine shop should be able to run one up for you.... and if you need it case hardened, I'm pretty certain they can get that one done too. Uncle loved to do odd stuff like that... it makes it less likely anyone's gonna steel your parts and try to use them on civillian applications.... The Alco Military Road Switchers with 244 & 251 engines had just enough tweaks to the design that very few, if any , major parts would interchange with the RS-1.RS-3 and RS-11 civillian sisters (Diesel Locomotives).

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:roll:

Gordon_M

E-Pay

I'm sure that's the same oddball size I have on the axle mounts for my 1944 and 1950 M19 ski/wheel trailers.

I wrecked a couple getting them off (to preserve the stub axle) thinking they would be easy to find, but in the end I just had to get them from E-Bay, took a while, cost a bit more than I would normally pay, but since it was an axle securing nut you're not going to take chances with it.

Gordon_M