• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

needing heelp with m105a2 recovery in the morning

wilsonmotors

ok so i am going to fort hood in the morning to recover a m105a2 trailer with my m1009 in the morning i just got my first euc back it only took 59 days not to bad needing to know what i should take with me to recover the trailer

erniemigi

portable air tank, grease for the wheel bearings (just incase) maybe a can of run flat or tire plugs, never know. maybe some magnetic lights incase the wiring is shot on the trailer lights, just some suggestions

glcaines

I would recommend taking an air compressor in case you have a flat tire. Once you start pulling it, pull over after 5 or 10 miles and feel the hubs to see if there is any heat build up which would indicate a problem. Warm is ok, hot is not. Depending on what you are pulling it with, you will need trailer lights. If you are using a civilian truck, I would recommend a magnetic trailer light set.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take 12V bulbs for the lights and a set of magnetic backups. Also take a high lift jack, adjustable landing gear won't go low enough for the Oh-9. Be careful, the 105 can whip the arse of the Oh-9 any time it wants to.

AndrewH

Hey! The guy is using what he's got. I agree the 105 could own the CUCV if it had mind to. Operate with respect. Take it easy. I have moved my 105s with the '09 and it will do it. Just not as easily as the 35 would. Take 12v bulbs and tire changing stuff. a 1 1/2 inch wrench and a sledgehammer to flip the lunette. the trailer will still sit downhull, just not as much. The lunette may fight back. They don't all flip without a fight. Wheel bearing grease, air compressor, hand tools ect, ect. -Andrew

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't worry with flipping the lunette just to tow it home. They can be a real pain to flip and it's not something I'd want to be doing on the GL lot. They pull fine empty without flipping it.

AndrewH

M16ty you are correct, it can be a pain and they will tow ok as is. My preference is to flip them. It was designed thay way for some reason. -Andrew

Brentzilla

If it has a cover over the bed, take it off and fold it up, itll help with the wind and wont act as a big sail. Ive towed one 30 miles behind a 95 Jimmy with 167k miles on it. The truck didnt like it and smoked some but I did get it home going about 50mph. I borrowed a pintle hitch from work and didnt flip anything.

Last edited:

mf5129

towing will be stressful in a m1009 that trailer is high and weights 2750 lbs.it sits 8 inches higher than a m1009 hitch.it will be fun to stop.you may sway all over the road.you need a receiver hitch with an adjustable.plate.i made an adapter hitch to retrive the m105.