• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Negligent Discharge or Creative Ventilation

Dock Rocker

I have been pulling the pieces of insulation out of the cab of my HMMWV over the last few days to get ready to prep the cab for some raptor liner. I am going to put the sound deadening and heat insulation down and see how it works.

I pulled the passenger floor insulation to find 8 .223 bullet holes. I laughed when I saw it. All I could think was did someone get wet boots and get pissed and add a few "drain holes" or did someone let it get away from them with the happy switch in the full rear position???

Either way it's a mystery that most likely want get solved but will be fun to laugh about.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please change your tapatalk settings to upload attachments to the site, otherwise it just links.

I'm guessing someone had their booger hooks in the wrong place when they went to enter/exit the vehicle. LOL

Dock Rocker

If it's a booger hook 8 is excessive. If the trigger gets hung in a piece of gear then maybe not. My buddy thinks that it's two different ND's as they are grouped into two groups.

My Tapatalk settings look right. Any pointers on where else to look to fix that?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some odd reason, everyone thinks every hole found in a HMMWV floor came from a 556 round...folks...unless you were there for the AD, I highly doubt it was an AD. I heard the same for every marine Corp HMMWV from the auctions...it's to let water out of the truck in the floor boards.
the early HMMWV's held water terribly...especially for fording. So it's common to see pick ax holes all over the floors of HMMWV's, especially marine Corp trucks.
30yrs in the military and I have never seen anyone discharge a weapon into the floor of a truck just cuz they could or to let water out....not unless they wanted at minimum an article 15.
not to say it ain't happend, but I seriously doubt it.

everytruck I restore has these holes, I use a one size over hole saw bit to remove the tears and jagged edges.
the proper way to deal with torn aluminum is to stop drill the tears, I find it easier to use the hole saw bit.
ots clean and looks better, no need to patch the hole, it's the tear that will make the hole larger...and a round hole it better for strength. If it's really bad...and I have seen really bad, then I fab a patch from same material, prime it, paint it and epoxy it to the floor affixed with rivets. The key is to keep water out of between the patch and the floor.....do not use steel as a patch.

Dock Rocker

If you look at the pic it is definitely a 223 no doubt about it.
The holes are clean on the top and jagged on the bottom. I am going to clean them up and put a patch panel over it. Shoot some bedliner on it and nobody will ever know.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two M998's, one has a one inch hole in the drivers and passenger side floor and the other has two holes in each floor. They might not be from a 5.56 round, but they are most certainly 22 caliber.

2w091

For some odd reason, everyone thinks every hole found in a HMMWV floor came from a 556 round...folks...unless you were there for the AD, I highly doubt it was an AD. I heard the same for every marine Corp HMMWV from the auctions...it's to let water out of the truck in the floor boards.
the early HMMWV's held water terribly...especially for fording. So it's common to see pick ax holes all over the floors of HMMWV's, especially marine Corp trucks.
30yrs in the military and I have never seen anyone discharge a weapon into the floor of a truck just cuz they could or to let water out....not unless they wanted at minimum an article 15.
not to say it ain't happend, but I seriously doubt it.

everytruck I restore has these holes, I use a one size over hole saw bit to remove the tears and jagged edges.
the proper way to deal with torn aluminum is to stop drill the tears, I find it easier to use the hole saw bit.
ots clean and looks better, no need to patch the hole, it's the tear that will make the hole larger...and a round hole it better for strength. If it's really bad...and I have seen really bad, then I fab a patch from same material, prime it, paint it and epoxy it to the floor affixed with rivets. The key is to keep water out of between the patch and the floor.....do not use steel as a patch.
Ours has several in the drivers rear, near the overdrive box, drain holes, but mine looks like an angry GI with a screwdriver did it...........................

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the pic it is definitely a 223 no doubt about it.
The holes are clean on the top and jagged on the bottom. I am going to clean them up and put a patch panel over it. Shoot some bedliner on it and nobody will ever know.
have you ever carried an M4 or M16 in a mil vehicle? It's not muzzle down....that's only on Helicopters.
that hole size is much larger then 5.56, more like 7.62mm. FYI....the military does not use .223
looks like the same spot all the trucks I have ever seen come through my shop...if you will notice also that mud in your
pic, that plugs the only drain hole in the area.

Dock Rocker

Retiredwarhorses I really expected better from you.

I just typed up a point by point response that was highly sarcastic to refute everything you just said. You are one of the most respected members here and frankly you are wrong. Why would you choose to attempt publicly embarrass me rather than just moving on ? Is that how we should treat other members here. Post like this remind me of why I left several popular gun forums.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Retiredwarhorses I really expected better from you.

I just typed up a point by point response that was highly sarcastic to refute everything you just said. I will PM it to you rather than clutter the board with it. You are one of the most respected members here and frankly you are wrong. Why would you choose to attempt publicly embarrass me rather than just moving on ? Is that how we should treat other members here. Post like this remind me of why I left several popular gun forums.

you have to be kidding me right? Someone differs in opinion and you call it public embarrassment?
i have provided you facts based on many years of experience....no intent to embarrass.
this must be the new Generation...

jake-cutter

Those are not bullet holes from an M4, too big to be 556. These are most likely from a screw driver and hammer, punch, or pick axe end. I have been around and supervised the cleaning of a lot of military vehicles from the current conflicts and a lot have these holes punched to make draining faster. When using a screwdriver and hammer it takes a hit or two which is why the paint pops up around the area of the hole. Bullets for the most part pass through quickly leaving the paint more intact. You should see the one the private contractors punch in the floors. Look up cleaning racks in Kuwait or Afghanistan or the private contractors in Salalah, Oman that clean these overseas. You will see how much water they hold and water draining out of the new improvised drain holes.

As others have said, rifles are carried muzzle up, not muzzle down in these vehicles.

Dock Rocker

Ok. Guys. Seriously. The holes mic at .27 at the largest point.

That's the exact same size as the holes in my target shot at 20 yards with a 223 cal bullet. A .30 bullet would not go through it unless it's magic.

If you were going to poke holes in it why wouldn't you do it in the low spot not the highest spot where they are? The drain holes were not clogged at all and none of the other floor wells have holes in them.

Jericho

I can assure you that who ever the potential culprit was, He was not in the Air Force, ( Air Force makes one account for every single round, if your short its a Report of Survey, ) In advertent discharges less than Fifty cal there is **** to pay, if its a 30 mm round or a "misbehaving Mav Missile" , one is just thank full every ones OK! it makes a good talking point around the campfire, Who cares what really happened, You both nice guys, Hope it gets better!