• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neighbors M37

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An elderly neighbor has this M37. The data tag says it's a 1952(but it looks like a hand written replacement tag). He says it was restored 20 years ago. It has been outside uncovered since. It hasn't run in a few years and was parked because of a brake issue. I see rusty edges and poor bodywork under the fading paint.

I am interested in it, but I don't know much about M37s. I have no idea what a fair price is. He first suggested to me(he came to me looking to sell it) thinking it was worth $5000 as is. I told him I doubted that, but would look into the value and possibly make a reasonable offer.

I really don't need a total restoration project. I would try to fix the brakes and just drive it around locally.

Can you guys give me some ideas on values(this one and a restored one)

He also has an M38a1 and a parts M170. He is keeping them, as the Jeep is in good operational condition and he still enjoys driving it in parades and on sunny days.

Attachments

Last edited:

citizensoldier

From what you say and what I can see.. Your pictures are blurry !.. My guess is $3500 would be a good price. If it was running and driving with good brakes maybe 5K to the right person for a toy but most of us OD heads are cheap!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did notice the cargo cover is torn and has holes in it. Also the tires look to be original and checked bad. He did replace the seat canvas when he did the work on it.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, Not over $2000. Nice runners are available for $3500 to $4500. At this point you have to assume the engine is stuck and all brake hydraulics are shot, along with the fuel system.
What is the condition of the cab and bed floor, especially the battery box under the crew seat?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll go back and look closer, maybe tomorrow. Not sure about the floors(was raining today).

I'm pretty confident the engine will not be stuck but, the brakes for sure are bad and the fuel system will be a mess I bet.

I'll bring a slave cable with me, when I go back.

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn the motor by hand before plugging in the slave cable. I'd hate to see you buying the turd just because you damaged it.

Rick

hwcurtice

And do something about those coffee jitters too... ;-)

Still it looks pretty nice. Little work. Some elbow grease. It could be even nicer.

Can hardly wait for better pictures!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pics are from my phone, taken between lightning flashes. Sorry I'm no Ansel Adams.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $4K for the M37 I have now, and it had more stuff than that one, including the hard top and a winch (although it was not the right winch, it did work). I'd say $4K is the top end of what I'd offer, but I'd start around $2K.

WarrenD

Figure the fuel system is shot, ethanol will do that. Probably lots of seal leaks, maybe some wheel bearings. Brake job is a must with wheel cylinders, shoes flex lines and maybe the master cylinder. Lots of work ahead, but they have thick steel. I'll go with MD on this about $4K is tops, less is better.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
M37s were a dime a dozen here a few years ago but that has changed. All things have to be factored in...running/driving/stopping, transportation costs, body condition etc.

Still...for 5K I would expect a GOOD running/stopping/drivetrain complete vehicle with no rust issues, good tires, no leaks and no immediate repairs needed.

At first glance and without more info I would not offer more than 2 to 2.5K

zout

jitters ?? I think he was drivin around it in his jeep shooting them blurry ole things.:mrgreen:

Grab some pics of the interior as Squirt mentioned - maybe a suggestion to hold a little steadier next time as the rust blends into other areas where it is not :mrgreen::mrgreen:

That would be a nice toy for you to have to play with to get through winter and I know my dog would enjoy riding and driving it.

Depends on what you want in the end on $$ - are you lookin to roll the sale into a profit/

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not big on selling anything. I would want to keep it.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll try to take better pics.

I know I dont need a total restoration project right now(too many other things going on).

zout

You pretty much know who is dead nuts on with the shape and info you have provided with what the real worth is.

Hardest things for owners to do it - GET THEIR FEET ON THE GROUND AND COME BACK TO REALITY (like parts in SS classifiedss)

I bet he is willin to deal and come close to what you are willin to offer if you politely explain reality to him.

Good Luck - do hope you get it at a reasonable price.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure he is willing to hear my advice(gained here). That's why I posted this here. I told him about our site and all the good advice from "real" people. I told him I'd gather advice and get back with him. He did come to me looking for help, and that's what I want to give him(even if it is a reality check). He is a nice man, and I respect him as a neighbor and friend(just don't know him much, yet).

I'm not sure(yet) if I really want this truck, in it's condition.

If anyone else here thinks this is a "must have" item, feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to put you in contact with him.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks