• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Neophyte LMTV

RAJ LMTV

Just got mine this week. No batteries, a few other misc. items missing but overall seems to be in good shape. Finally figured out the battery config with the help from some on this site. Thanks for that. She cranked right up and first impressions seems the engine is ok. I'm an admitted newbie to this sport/addiction but want to learn. The brake lights on the dash were all lit up and the warning signal was screaming at me. Where would I begin to learn about the pneumatic system and start figuring out where to go from here. Thanks for any constructive input

Lmtv772

Banned
Welcome aboard , now that you got your red, white and blue guidon with your truck. You'll want to download the m1078 specific TM's and just start casually reading through them. If you stumble into things and need help, feel free to ask. For the most part we are pretty knowledgeable about our trucks, and the few who are not... Well you'll soon know how to shut out the noise. ;-)

coachgeo

Brake warning signal will stay on till air pressure in tanks reach operating pressure. More in TM's as LMTV says. Air Brake system is conceptually same as other trucks of this size.

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuajFbUNydo
might help you get started. CDL class air brake concept and operating info. Might give you more insight to what is written as you review the TM's.
Oh and TM's are found atop the first page of this board. Hit Present Conflict. That will lead you too

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118919-M1078-TM-s

Welcome aboard.

PS- Am one of those who don't know what Im talking about

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Welcome to the club & you forgot to post pictures so we can see your new ride. My air buzzer does not operate at all, probably disconnected along with other stuff the mechanics were digging thru before they sent her to DLA! Enjoy the new hobby!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear she started that quick. Take a good inventory of what parts you need and post it here. Good chance someone will be able to help you out.

RAJ LMTV

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll start digging into to TM's and see what I can learn about air brake systems. My truck is missing the CTIS controller. Since its not there I'm don't really know what the connections look like. Is there going to be open air lines without the controller? I don't really see anything loose or dangling there except for 1 wire harness with a plug

Lmtv772

Banned
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'll start digging into to TM's and see what I can learn about air brake systems. My truck is missing the CTIS controller. Since its not there I'm don't really know what the connections look like. Is there going to be open air lines without the controller? I don't really see anything loose or dangling there except for 1 wire harness with a plug
The CTIS module just connects to a plug and a ground wire between the unit and the dash via a bolt holding it down.
ill get a new ctis unit next week (gave one to a member for testing purposes)

RAJ LMTV

Ok thanks. I'll check it out more today. Just cranked it up for a short test last night after hooking up the batteries. Anticipation was killing me on whether it would run or not. Hopefully will be able to be more thorough today

Lmtv772

Banned
-If you don't have one yet, get a grease gun and start greasing the driveshaft fittings.
-when you turn off the truck , listen to a 'Pffft' noise coming from the lower passenger panel area. ( that's the fan clutch circuit releasing pressure).
check at the axles there are cylinders, called brake pods. See if you have a bolt sticking out in the center of the pod. That means the brakes are 'caged' and will not hold the truck (if there is a fault in the air brake system, they will lock. So by caging the breaks one is able to move the truck without braked)
-press the brake pedal and release the park brake by pressing it in. Check the air gauges and see if they hold pressure when you keep the brake pedal depressed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks