• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

never seize on glowplugs

rsh4364

would putting never seize on glowplug threads affect glowplug performance?Maybe eliminating a good ground to head?My 60Gs dont do as well as the autolite 1112s i pulled out,but i did put neverseize on 60g threads..

scottladdy

Spark plugs fire at tens of thousands of volts. Your glow plugs operate at 12-15 volts or thereabouts. Just a small difference here :mrgreen:

Most silver anti-sieze compounds actually have tiny glass beads suspended in a form of grease. Most people use far too much.

To be certain you haven't introduced an issue, break out the ohmmeter and test the resistance of each plug. If out of spec., they are either bad or the AS is causing an issue.

Please let us know what you find ...

scottladdy

Glow Plug Test / Check Procedure

To check my glow plugs I use a test light with alagator clip on Positive battery then touch the tip lead on the GP and if it lights it stayes where it is. LOL
Thanks Floridianson. I know what you describe is a popular test procedure. I do have a concern with it though.

From the -20, Semi Annual Electrical Wiring Check
"a. Disconnect each glow plug lead and check for resistance between glow plug terminal and ground. Resistance should be 1-3 ohms. Check glow plugs for looseness or damage. Tighten glowplugs to 10 ft-lbs (14 N.m)."

Curious to understand, how would one determine a GP with low or moderately high resistance if only a test light were used? It is my understanding these could be indications of a failed plug or one getting ready to fail.

TMNT

What about copper grease? It withstands very high temperatures (900 degrees C), and it's conductive. I use it as anti-seize on threaded hardware and as an anti-corrosive on electrical connections. I've not had a problem with it over many years of use.

dependable

Have always used copper based anti-seize (Permatex 31163 is the part number for 1 pound container w brush) on most things that does not call for thread lock. Not that the aluminum stuff is bad. The copper is better but costs more. Using anti-seize makes sence when you take it apart a few years later, as the repair goes that much smoother. Once I ended up buying an truck I had once worked on from a 3rd party, I was glad I had been the previous mechanic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks