• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 1008 - Glow Plug Resistors Disconnected

cucvrus

After the cold start glow plug cycle it starts immediately when I hit the key. Now in winter sometimes at -15* it may crank a bit longer. I do use a block heater if I must rely on the truck for transportation. But yes I have all stock with the AC Delco 13 G glow plugs. Minimal of trouble in 25 years of private ownership.

cucvrus

I mean I am very much a over maintain a vehicle type of guy. I notice every hiccup and dig to find what caused the hiccup. If it starts hard one day I may pull all 8 glow plugs out and bench test them. 1 or 2 may be bad and I will replace only the 1 or 2 that are bad. If I notice that the starter sounds tired I change the starter and have a remanufactured one on hand at all times. I never wait for total failure. Same as alternators. But glow plugs I pull and bench test to get an eyeball on them. I seen glow plugs test good on the truck and at the bench test they are getting hot up at the threads and the tip is not getting hot. I have been driving along and had a glow plug be injected by the engine in August for no reason. I never knew what happened but it tapped loudly for a few seconds at 60 MPH and went away. I assumed a stuck nozzle but it was a different sounding tap. The next day in 85* weather no start. I pulled the glow plugs and the second one I pulled was just the threads. That explained the tap. I replaced the glow plug and it started right up. That was a while back but I never had all 8 plugs fail on any of my CUCV's. Call me lucky. I doubt it. I have beat the snot out of several CUCV's and mud was the biggest issue with alternators and starters failing from being submerged in mud. DSCF3383 (1).JPGDSCF3384 (1).JPGDSCF3385 (1).JPG
No glow plug failures. I did have a small cube relay on this unit. I thought the military vehicles could take a little mud under the hood. HA HA. Take Care.

Attachments

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's way more mud that I plan on putting through it.
Still running the stock starter relay under the dash, no mod there.
The truck I'll be enquiring there's some statements about starter sounds like it might not be shim properly, I've gotta figure out what that's about when I get it.

Thank you,

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you test your glow plugs with just an ohm reading?

MarcusOReallyus

I haven't seen it in action, but I suspect anything Rick drives starts when he wants it to. He's probably owned more CUCVs than anybody in the country except the federal government. He's solidly in the #2 group I listed above. You will not go wrong by listening to his advice.

I've got the Doghead mod and the resistor bypass. I'm not expert enough to know when a single GP is going out, so I like the resistor bypass. I don't trust the stock starter relay, so I have the Doghead mod. Works for me.

If I ever have another CUCV, it will get a standard automotive relay in a proper socket instead of the Doghead 100 amp job, but it will get changed from the stock GM relay. in fact, if I ever need to replace my GP relay, I'll probably steal my starter relay and put a standard relay in its place.

There ya go. Pick yer poison.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a firm believer of oem stock stuff. I like bulletproof stuff.
But when I hear or read tales about a runaway starter chewing up a fly wheel that's pretty scary.
It seems to me like the engineers should have put a idiot gauge or light for the glow plug system. That would determine the reading on all go glow plugs so when one failed it pushed it over into a red zone or warning.
I don't have my vehicle yet but I'm wondering what the total ohm reading would be for all 8 glow plugs and as soon as That was out of range it would give you that light. But maybe that's what the glow plug controller card is doing. I haven't seen anybody talk about any kind of indication before catastrophic failure.

Thank you

MarcusOReallyus

Nope. There's no indicator. That's why some of us like the bypass. Works for me. But Rick can hear it when one starts to go, so he changes it right away. So he doesn't need the bypass. Works for him.

I'll tell a tale on him, though. He has confessed to replacing a failed GM starter relay with a standard automotive relay. ;)

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about that I'm using a different app it's not right available

dougco1

As stated in my signature, M1008 & M1009 both 1986
What's important for the starting speed is that everything should be working as designed. Good and fully charged batteries, good starter, working glow plugs, good fuel, good fuel supply, good engine oil, injectors, injection pump and the proper cylinder compression. Take just one of those items out of the mix and you will most likely have problems.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess the M998 an the M923a2 i had didn't have any problems ever, they fired right off instantly.
All these tales about these trucks not starting and slow starting and all that, it's perplexing.
I hope when I received this M1028 It doesn't have a virus

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks