• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new 1009 electrical question

army326

I drove my m1009 yesterday. it was cold out so i turned the heater on and set the fan switch to the 3/4 setting. then i noticed the GEN 1 light was on. then i noticed the blower fan was not working. if i turned the fan switch off, the GEN 1 light would go out. when i got almost home, i tried it again and everything worked as it should. i cannot duplicate the problem now. if anyone knows where i should be looking first, i would appreciate the help. i don't think it's the resistor, because when it was doing it the fan would not work on high either.:?:

ida34

I would check for a loose belt. The belt may have started slipping when the alt had the extra load of the blower fan. The blower motor might also be starting to go and is drawing more amps than it normally should.

kipman

Hope you find your gremlin, still chasing electrical gremlins on my M1009, it is a daily driver, put 3000 miles on her in two months.

army326

Im going to replace belts first. they are hardened from age. couldn't tell if they are slipping but it needs done anyway. then i will look at the blower motor.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the belts are slipping there should be evidence such as rubber dust or particles on the alt pulley. Had the same issue with the heater and lights. Rebuilt the alt and works fine now.

HardCorps79

My 1009 doesn't like the added power draw from the blower until the engine has warmed up/high idle kicks down. When I try to run the heater before it's warm, it pulls the voltmeter down. Once it's warm- no problems. Seems fairly typical, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem somewhere that can be fixed. Try "administrative controls" first (that means 'what you do'), then go after the "engineering controls" (what the truck needs mechanically). My $.02

Wolf.Dose

If the fan belts are new/allmost new and in propper tension, replace the regulator and the diode plate in Gen 1. 5that helps. The Delco stuff is junk due to experiance since summer 1992. I rebuilt altinators something like every 5000 to 10000 miles, sometimes Gen 1, sometimes Gen 2, sometimes both.
I hab the system in my Mil Blazer from 1992 until 2006 (200000 miles) and have the same system in my M715 and at least once a year have to rebuilt a Gen. Before more often.
The problem is simple: You will not find a fitting Gen for replacement. The fitting replacements are Delco, too! With lower amps.
Wolf from Germany