• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" 1973 M35A2 w/M66

DrFuzzy

Before Photos

I bought my Deuce painted, but I did get several low-res "before" photos. So we know that it was originally green-camo, and the bumper numbers originally belonged to a different truck.

--Fuzzy

Attachments

DrFuzzy

Got my VIN info, repainted the ID numbers (with pix)

Thanks to CARNAC (donation already sent), I found out some interesting things about my Deuce.

1. The frame number 0525-10109 says 1964 M35A2, but the dash number says 1973 M35A2. If you look at the before picture of the engine, you can just make out "20 7 OCT 82" painted on the inside of the hood. The milage from 1998 was 26,989, which was just 88 miles less than when it was sold to Govt. Liq., and it's only gotten 12 more miles since then.

This makes me think my truck was a product of ESP (Extended Service Program), and was re-built from at least two M35A2's.

2. The frame number gives the owning unit as 1BN 185AR TANK HHC. Formed in 1959, the 185th Armor Regiment, 1st Battalion was based in San Bernadino, CA, which is part of the CA Natl Guard when not federalized.

3. I took the truck for state inspection, and found that the light requirement would require more thought than I could muster soon, so I decided to go the FMV registration route. But I also found out from Steve at Govt. Liq. that he used the same stencils to paint the bumpers on all of his Deuces, so I needed to put a unique bumper id on the truck.

I recreated the bumper numbers from the 185AR regiment's web information (although I wasn't sure about the dash in the number). Using the lo-res picture of the "before" shot, I knew that the right bumper said "HQ 11", but the left side was a blur. So in the end I repainted it "1-185 AR" and "HQ 11".

Since I got the army registration number 4E65370 from CARNAC, I decided to put it on the back of the truck. The tan paint scheme is not at all original, but I decided not to paint the reg number on the hood.

Once I repainted the numbers, I took a bunch of photos to take to the DMV on Monday.

Wish me luck!

--Fuzzy

Attachments

DrFuzzy

After reading, I find that ESP ran between 1994 and 1999, and produced M35A3's, so my truck DIDN'T come from ESP.

Still curious that the DASH and FRAME numbers don't match, and the SF97 lists 1973 as the manufacture date when the FRAME number says 1964.

Any thoughts?

--Fuzzy

gunboy1656

Well the dash plate is more then likely a replacement that the company who did the "restoration" just threw on. And GL does not put on stencils, Those also would have come from whoever did that paint job.

DrFuzzy

Steve at MREDepot did the paint (and stencils), and listed the truck on eBay. I thought that MREDepot *was* Govt. Liquidation, because that's who signed the paperwork over to me after the eBay auction.

The VIN listed by DRMS was the one that said 1973, and matched the paperwork from Govt. Liquidation.

--Fuzzy

Last edited:

flyxpl

sounds to me like whoever listed and sold the truck on ebay never put the truck in thier name after the purchase from GL .
What this guy did is a major no no . If I was you I would go back to E bay and rerate this guy . I remember this auction you paid good money for this truck . I asked him a few qeustions during the bidding and recieved lies back for answers .
One good thing is this guy sells lots of stuff on ebay , has good ratings and you paid good money for this truck . I am sure you have nothing to woory about ,but maybe just a little more time to get it registered . I think this came from CA , I would think you would need a CA title , but I may be wrong , if he is a dealer he may be able to get away with stuff we can't . He has a truck for sale now , same deal , the description says comes with a goverment form for title , so it appears he has been doing this for some time and aparently it has not cuased any major problems , if so you would think he would have changed his ways . Let us know how it turns out at the DMV.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that MREDepot *was* Govt. Liquidation, because that's who signed the paperwork over to me after the eBay auction.
--Fuzzy
Be prepared for some headaches at the DMV. If the SF97 is not in YOUR name they likely won't accept it. You may have to take it back to "Steve" and have him title it first and then transfer the TX title to you (ran in to this problem with 1009s). They will also hit you for double taxes (Steve when he titles it and then when you transfer it into your name).

goodguyzy

now if you really run into a road block. would this be wrong?
i have a parts truck, so extra ID plate and title. um.......
i could see how someone could take advantage of this really easy:-D

DrFuzzy

Let's see what the state of Texas says tomorrow, and whether Steve gets back to me with an explanation of the discrepancy.

I can also call DRMS and see what their records say.

--Fuzzy

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
now if you really run into a road block. would this be wrong?
i have a parts truck, so extra ID plate and title. um.......
i could see how someone could take advantage of this really easy:-D
Let's just remind everyone that there are a number of LEOs that frequent this site and then you can decide if that's wrong or not.

DrFuzzy

As an Eagle Scout, I never cut corners with the IRS or the DMV.

My memory is just not good enough to tell a lie... then you have to remember what you told everybody :)

--Fuzzy

DrFuzzy

Well, I was *told* my ring mount was "de-milled". What does that entail for an M66? I am missing the pintle, at least...

--Fuzzy

DrFuzzy

Well, the Tax Collector's office was a breeze... and the truck is registered as an FMV using the last six digits of the Army registration number as the Texas Registration number (so 4E65370 becomes E65370 in their computer).

The nice lady at the tax office had never done an FMV, but after calling, reading the rules and checking with the supervisor, everything was in order.

--Fuzzy

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it went smoothly!

On the ring mount, typically they cut them in half to demil them. At a minimum they need to make it so the pintle will not move around on the track.

Since you don't have mess with the gov't on anything there's no worries. There is a gun truck replica in the Lonestar MVPA (meeting is this Wed night at Camp Mabry) and he might have a line on getting the pintle and a dummy M2 if you're looking for one.

MC

DrFuzzy

The meeting's this Wednesday? The web site says 8/21, and I already have a message in to Danny K for security access.

I was hoping to bring my truck in to the next meeting, be it Wednesday or Saturday.

Also sending in my Lonestar Membership app this afternoon.

Hope to see you at the next meeting, with my truck.

--Fuzzy

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a little confusion on the web site. Under "Coming Events" it has the meeting on 8/21 (Saturday) but if you scroll down the page to the "Meeting" section it says 8/18. I already sent Danny a note advising him of the mix up. So yes the meeting is Wed and I should be there. Since I live almost to San Antonio I won't be bringing my deuce.

MC

Pawnshop

Yes, this Wednesday, 18 August, is the meeting! It is the third Wednesday of the month, 1900 hours, at the Scribner Museum on Camp Mabry. We would love to see the truck and finally meet you! Ed might even bring the gun truck and you two can contrast and compare M66 rings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks