• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"new" 5 ton for fire dpt

Happyland1410

Hi b1pig,

I am also a volunteer firefighter. Our department had an M35A2 with two 600 gallon tanks. When full of water and with the weight of the pump, hoses, and tools it was obviously over loaded. It did handle fairly well if taken slow (with 1200 gallons of water, slow was the only speed she would do). It is a blast running code 3 at 30 mph. :mrgreen: There were only a few of us on the department that would drive this truck. I live farther from the station than most of the guys so by the time I get to the station this is often the last truck there. I'm fine with that since I obviously liked the deuce so much that I had to have my own. :D

We are now in the process of replacing the A2 with an M35A3. I made the case that we should only put one 600 gallon tank on the A3 but others decided to go ahead and put two 600 gallon tanks on it. The new tanks are baffled (the tanks on the A2 were not). I guess we will see how it handles but we will have the option of only filling one of the tanks (which I will push for). I have heard that keeping the tires at max pressure helps the stability with a heavy load on the A3.

I will be interested in hearing how your truck handles once you get it in service.

Here are pictures of our old A2 and the A3 which is still being setup.

Attachments

b1pig

we already drove it around loaded. as a matter of fact... the day we got it... 3 hours after we loaded the hoses and various wildland tools we usually keep on that truck, we had a reported structure fire. it was the last truck there, and i drove it.

1100 gallons of water. yes, it accelerates slow. yes, it will do 50 indicated (verified as 47 by GPS) on the open road with that payload. it isnt right though. that tank is centered over the two rear axles. it should be farther forward anyway. we're looking for a different tank.

honestly.
i like the A3. i'll be trying to keep it in service, but the tank that the state installed just wont work on that truck. good luck on getting a new one. i honestly hope it works out for your agency.

oh, by the way.
i've already pointed out the payload issue. last year, we buried a volunteer from an agency in the next county. they were driving an old Ford that was overloaded two times the rated capacity of the truck with an unbaffled tank. attempted to avoid traffic. one of the two occupants was killed. they were brothers.

Last edited:

ecupirate

REC 6x6 Publications is the exact link I believe to the 2.5 and 5 ton info.

My fire department researched the possibility of using a free duece donation from the state of NC it was a good deal all we had to do was pay a dollar and we would have the truck to do with as we pleased. After much consideration we decided it was in our best interest not to pursue it. A whole lot of liability, not to mention training and maintenance and God forbid if you ever wrecked it because it isn't NFPA compliant and got sued. I know you know from experience but please use upmost caution and care with this truck when operating it. Also I do believe there is a company that makes big baffling balls for tanks like that to help reduce slosh. It may be something worth researching. Good luck with the build and training.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks