• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 5 ton owner question

Rifleman

Well i just got my new 5 ton home and in the driveway and found something odd. What i found was all the lug nuts have a little spot of weld on each and everyone of them. So my question to you guys is, did your trucks come this way, and if so how did you go about removing the lugs? I was thinking about taking my air grinder and just grinding off the spot weld or do you know of another way to remove the weld to get the tires off?

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those were put on to show movement of the lugs should they loosen, the welds are sacrificial and will break when the lug is removed. I did not see that on my truck, but have seen the practice. Not saying I agree with it, but it is only there to show movement during a visual inspection.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You've seen that?!?! Paint or grease pencil is what I have seen. I don't think they would weld them to the stud, as the stud would possibly be ruined. It sounds more like the weld was on the side of the nut, perhaps to prevent unauthorized wheel removal? But, that is a real PITA if you get a flat. Unless you have a wheel wrench that was modified. :cookoo:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be interested to see a picture. I never said it was on the stud, I assumed it was to the wheel. I bet it is VERY small and they are non-structural (weak) welds designed to break easy with any movement.

Rifleman

Okay a little back ground info my truck, it is also a 2009 Red River Depot rebuild. When i started working on the lugs it looks like what i though was a tack weld was some type of tell tail paint. I have seen this before, it was done by inspectors so they were able to tell if a nut or bolt had moved or been removed from an item. More than likely if you scrape at what looks like a tack weld on your lug nuts, you will probably find that it is white tell tail paint just like i did. I will take some photos tomorrow and post them so you can see what i found.