• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 5 Ton Owner/Recovery Story

Iggy913

To begin with I'd like to thank the members here, as a new military vehicle enthusiast I've had a lot of questions that you have been kind enough to answer. Thanks to the help here I'm now the proud owner of an M923A2.

I found a GL site that had quite a few trucks for sale and went to preview them prior to bidding. I found one that I was really interested in, placed a bid, and won the truck!

Fast forward to recovery day and I arrive at the site with a temporary registration, insurance, and look the truck over again from one end to the other. Ready to start the 250 mile drive home I hop in the cab to start her up and I'm rewarded with the sound of absolutely nothing. Not a click, sputter, bang, nothing. The lot attendant comes over and connects to my truck with another through the slave receptacle thinking it just had dead batteries, and as before absolutely nothing.

I put in a call to TNJ Murray who helped me troubleshoot the problem. It ended up being the Protective Control Box on the firewall, which I figured out by borrowing the PCB off a neighboring truck. Problem identified, I replaced the functioning PCB on the other truck and drove 40 miles to TNJ Murray to purchase the replacement. Great people there and I can't say how thankful I am for their help.

I drive the 40 miles back to the site, install the new PCB, the truck fires right up and I'm headed home. About 20 miles into my drive I pull over to top off the fuel and do another look around the truck. After filling the truck I hop back in to continue my journey home and I get a click! There was a definite click coming from the PCB when the start switch was engaged but nothing else. I call AAA to come give me a jump, hoping it's just dead batteries. After a 20 minute conversation with them they told me they wouldn't come out, it was my fault since I said it was a big military truck rather than a green pickup.

Ready to accept a big tow bill I look over the motor one last time and find a broken wire between the starter motor and the solenoid. I secure the broken connection with good old tape and the truck fires right up!

Needless to say the truck didn't get turned off until I made it home. The rest of the 250 mile journey was uneventful and successful and I made it home! I even managed to average 11mpg in stop and go traffic the majority of the drive home, with tires inflated to only 45psi!

Thank you all again for all the help.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never turn a new truck off until I can get it home and make sure it is a reliable starting truck.
Sounds like you got a nice one, but nopics

Iggy913

Truck 2.jpgTruck 1.JPGTruck 3.jpg

Sorry guys, was having some trouble uploading pictures. The truck is really in great shape, odometer indicates 2800 miles and 200 hours of run time, I realize both gauges could be replacements, but after looking the truck over it seems like it could be accurate. The truck was also overhauled in 10/12 by the Red River Army Depot so the CARC job is great and the underside is as clean as the topside. The CTIS even appears to be working, some of the time anyway, other times the panel doesn't even light up. The only leaks I've seen so far is at a large valve on the back of the transfer case, and the power steering pump seems to be wet.

I plan on changing all the fluids and filters and driving it around to see how she does.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a really nice truck! The guages were probably new at the rebuild, so it does have really low miles, especially if the engine is new. When they don't replace the guages, most of the trucks of that age only have around 12K - 35K miles. So it's probably reasonable to assume the truck has less than 40K total miles since Uncle Sam bought it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks