• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 5-ton ... questions

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I'll chime in here too.

Thank God you still have all your digits.
Since you're a self-admitted "new guy" i'll echo the whole "get to know your vehicle by reading the TMs" advice.

With that said....

Welcome aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver: Whenever you find some down-time and are kicked back in your bunk, take advantage of the opportunity and read those TMs :deadhorse::burn:

On another new-guy-related-topic....

Your profile says you're in "north Texas". That's an area still larger than most eastern states... If you'll update your profile to show your city (or nearest city) you may find that a qualified mentor with time to give you might PM and start a meaningful apprrentice program with you.
Similarly, GO TO the Member Map (see button in banner of every SS page) and drop a pin on your location. That will help you to see who is nearby and may not have seen this tread. Take the time to read their info and signature blocks and see if anyone with a similar model truck might be worthy of you contacting them for a side-by-side comparison of your trucks.

Hope these additional pointers help.

Welcome to the Green Iron Addiction!

Carry on.

John

elkhtr

Coming from a former newb, and still a student, you really should at the least read the -10 operators manual.
It's not that bad, you can skip the sections that don't apply to your truck, wrecker, dump, etc.
There are things in there that can save you time, money, and injury to you or others.
Read the -10, and enjoy your truck.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, this is why we post questions. Nobody (including my ex military friend who is driving one of my 5 tons from Idaho to Texas with me ... yes, you William!) informed me that there was one TM that was more important to read than the others. Newbies don't know this. Smart ones ask questions! Well, ignorant smart ones do.

Now, on "the finger" issue, it's not that I jammed my finger in a strange hole. It would be missing long ago. I held my hand up to the hole, felt pulsating air, very slowly slid my finger in there. I could feel the pulsating air from the flywheel well before contact. Try it some day.

Yeah, not wise, should have used a stick, but no harm done.

I have located "The 10" and will read it.

Thanks guys.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 important TMs that will help a new owner right from the start. The Lube Order is the other one. Don't worry, it's a short read but will save you money. It will detail all 5 tons worth of lube points, capacities and fluid types.

And since I forgot it in the first post....Congrats on the new truck!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 important TMs that will help a new owner right from the start. The Lube Order is the other one. Don't worry, it's a short read but will save you money. It will detail all 5 tons worth of lube points, capacities and fluid types.

And since I forgot it in the first post....Congrats on the new truck!
thanks SD, I actually bought three of them. We are using one as a traveling fund raiser. We are working with Mission 22 "The Mission 22 Truck" www.mission22truck.org That is one sweet 5-ton. Bought from a guy here on SS.

one will likely be converted to a dump bed this year. And the third, I don't know yet. I just liked it.

I actually have have the lube order printout. Being a rancher I know how important a grease gun is. And how important following a good lube schedule is.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found some of the TMs. The picture doesn't do it justice how many pages are there. It's overwhelming to the new guy.

image.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck runs good and accelerates normally the fuel is OK, run that tank down and fill it with a new dose of #2 and it will be very happy!
KK

wsucougarx

As far as smelling funny, my M925A1 came with a full tank of JP-8. The exhaust definitely smells different from diesel. Blow-by coming out of the draft tube will differ from truck to truck. It all depends on engine condition.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck runs like a top. Cranks up immediately on hitting ignition. The smell is one of those things that just makes you stop, and investigate. Any strange noise or pop or creak or smell ought to make you curious why it popped, creaked or stinks.

These 5 tons make so many noises that I'm not used to. First time I drove one I thought it was going to come apart.

Nope, that's just what they sound like!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck runs good and accelerates normally the fuel is OK, run that tank down and fill it with a new dose of #2 and it will be very happy!
KK
I drained 25 gallons out and after the first quart, it looked fine to me. Smelled ok. Not sure why I kept draining it. There was some rust and paint in the bottom, but minimal. I can always pour it back in later. I have it in Home Depot buckets with lids for the time being.

I really don't think the fuel is bad. I guess it just needs to be run and blow some cob webs out. I think it sat a long time.

I did did pull the four bad batteries out and replaced with two series 31's. Man that thing cranks with the 31's!

I need to to strap them down though. Didn't have any trays for a 31 at the auto store. So, no driving until I secure the batteries properly.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 627589[/QUOTE]

Wendell,
Take your time with your new truck, put the fuel back in the tank before it gets contaminated, add a little Power Service Diesel Kleen w/ every fill up. These trucks have a lot of old smells. (the tarp smells, the seat covers smell, the CARC smells, the dead mouse under the battery box smells). It has probably idled around and needs a good hot run down the highway. Checked out the "Mission 22 Truck" site, great work. Oh yeah, did you kill that buffalo in the corner?
Be safe
JC

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wendell,
Take your time with your new truck, put the fuel back in the tank before it gets contaminated, add a little Power Service Diesel Kleen w/ every fill up. These trucks have a lot of old smells. (the tarp smells, the seat covers smell, the CARC smells, the dead mouse under the battery box smells). It has probably idled around and needs a good hot run down the highway. Checked out the "Mission 22 Truck" site, great work. Oh yeah, did you kill that buffalo in the corner?
Be safe
JC[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I will put the fuel back, except for the first 5 gal had some junk in it. Just got off the phone with Oreilly, they will have my fuel and oil filters tomorrow. Will take a set to Idaho with me next week for the M22 Truck. We are running 2000 miles so, I'm going to go ahead and do all fluids and filters on it as well.

Yep, that's my Buff in the corner. Tanzania 2005, got malaria on that trip and had to be medivaced out to Nairobi, then back to Baylor Grapevine ICU. He and another are the sentries that guard the entry to the house. One on each side. He's not the widest Buffalo I have killed, but he's my favorite.

The he picture doesn't do justice to how huge these animals really are.

image.jpg

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that's my Buff in the corner. Tanzania 2005, got malaria on that trip and had to be medivaced out to Nairobi, then back to Baylor Grapevine ICU. He and another are the sentries that guard the entry to the house. One on each side. He's not the widest Buffalo I have killed, but he's my favorite.

The he picture doesn't do justice to how huge these animals really are.

View attachment 627638[/QUOTE]
Africa and a cape buffalo are on my bucket list. Impressive mount.