• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 6.2L Rebuild, Won't start

Mg84648

One last thing before you R&R the pump. Make sure the return line isn't blocked. If the return from the pump top is plugged the case pressure will rise and the pump won't pump... at all.
I'll blow it out in the morning just to make sure. I certainly hope it's that easy!

Thanks for all the help, fellas. I'll keep you posted.

Barrman

I had almost the exact same issue when trying to get my Gl 6.2 to start when I put it in my m715. I had fuel in the filter, fuel coming out of the lift pump and fuel at the injectors. Yet, it would run for about 5-10 seconds then die. A minute or more of cranking would get to fire and then die again.

I had a pin hole crack in the fuel line back by the tank. Fuel would flow but air getting in would let the info dry.

Like all the other post. This comes down to checking everything. Then checking it again.

Mg84648

I blew out the return line section by section and it unobstructed. I left the lower flex line off when I cranked and I got fuel dripping out. I also removed the IP cover and exercised the metering valve linkage and its ok.
I guess I could pressure test the supply line from the tank to the IP but don't have air at the bleed valve on top of the of the filter housing and the fuel coming out of the return line off the IP is clear so I don't think it's that.
The kids stayed home sick today so I didn't get a chance to start changing the IP. Maybe this weekend.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear from yall again too. 1970 huh?? It used to say 1969! If I remember correctly Mike did that as a joke 10 years ago.

FrankenCub

I blew out the return line section by section and it unobstructed. I left the lower flex line off when I cranked and I got fuel dripping out. I also removed the IP cover and exercised the metering valve linkage and its ok.
I guess I could pressure test the supply line from the tank to the IP but don't have air at the bleed valve on top of the of the filter housing and the fuel coming out of the return line off the IP is clear so I don't think it's that.
The kids stayed home sick today so I didn't get a chance to start changing the IP. Maybe this weekend.
Seems your pump came from the same place as mine, verify that your fuel cut off is actually working, listen for the clicks when you connect the pink wire. Just installed mine today and the cut off is NFG.

Mg84648

Seems your pump came from the same place as mine, verify that your fuel cut off is actually working, listen for the clicks when you connect the pink wire. Just installed mine today and the cut off is NFG.
Mine is working fine but I swapped out the cover with a known good one just to make sure and still no joy. Sorry to hear about your bad luck also. I'll be swapping out the IP next week.

Mg84648

It's going to start today, boys!!

I swapped out the IP last night and finished bleeding it this morning. Just putting the batteries on a quick charge now. Hopefully it starts before lunch ��
I bleed the filter then filled the supply coming off the Filter to IP, then filled the IP cover with diesel. I motored it with glow plugs out and injector Lines cracked and within 2 20 second cycles fuel started dripping from lines. I tightened them all and the next cycle I had a ton of mist coming from glow plug holes!
Ill let you guys know when it starts!!

Mg84648

So far so good. I thought the passenger side head gasket was leaking but it turned out to be fuel from an injector that needed re torque. My original problem with my old IP of hard starting is back but at least it's running. Now I need to return the new IP for a refund. I'll get it rebuilt locally, that way next time I have issues I can walk into a store front.

Thanks for all the help, guys:beer::beer::beer::beer:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to hear it's running. You must have my luck. When I buy something it's usually the bad/broken one.

Mg84648

Unfortunatly, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. But so far the guys up in Memphis who rebuilt the pump have been stand-up. They emailed a shipping label today so I could send it back. He said they would put it on the test stand and see what the deal was.
In the mean time I'm going to remove the manual glow plug button and electric pump. I know thats usually the opposite of what guys do but i'd like to return the truck to its original configuration ( CUCVRUS, I know youre smiling right now). I ordered a new glow plug card from a vendor here so hopefully I'll have that done by next week.

Mg84648

Got a call Friday from the diesel shop in Memphis and it turns out the plunger was stuck. He suspects that after rebuild the pump sat on the shelf a while allowing the plunger to stick. He also asked if I had turned up the fuel on the pump which I did not. I found that peculiar since after rebuild they supposedly run each pump on the test stand and I thought they would have caught that before shipping. He said it was turned up for a 6.5, weird I guess.
Anyway, he is shipping it back Monday so we'll see how it runs in the next few weeks.

cucvrus

All I can say is at least you received an answer. And it is a reasonable explanation in their defense. I work at an assembly plant and I see some things that other workers do to brand new trucks during up fitting. It is hard to be every where at once from a management point of view. I see wiring harnesses drilled through and fuel lines pinched behind brackets on a semi weekly basis. I think everything will work out for you. I never had any trouble with Diesel Care. If I had questions I called and spoke to them and they were helpful. I spoke to Billy Williams. But from what you are saying the CUCV is running fine. Are you going to put the rebuilt pump on the shelf and store it? Or are you going to install it. i already put a brand new injection pump NOT a rebuilt on my Crown of Thorns M1009 and it lasted about 6 months. So I believe the sitting around on a shelf theory. Anything that sits around is aging just as fast or sometimes faster then the one in use. Good Luck. Have a great day. I am just sitting winter out and playing with wood and what ever else I can get inside to work on. It is muddy outside and I don't like mud in my shop or house. Winter has been strange this year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks