• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 67 Kaiser owner

Drew

Hey guys, my name is Drew and thankfully found this forum!

Quick Intro:

I have been an avid "airsofter" since I was in the second grade, and have been playing every weekend for years. Some many months ago, I got a 91 suburban for about 1400 bucks, then we tore everything off the outside and "Krylon'd the beast" Essentially a mock/clone CUCV. We use it for games and transport about 5-6 guys in the back.

Other than that, I was lucky enough to receive a Kawasaki mule 610 a few years ago, with the purpose of turning it into a "tank" Was always busy with school, and never had a trailer to pull it with.

Long story short, yesterday I traded it straight across for a 1967 Kaiser M35A2

The guy I got it from told me out of his fleet of M35's he picked a good engine, over a good exterior, because I had told him I planned on using it quite a bit. We shall see, but I can only hope it is in good shape.

While I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I do plan on taking it to a shop to do an overall checkup, and to replace all filters...which I need to order.

Exterior...I plan on redoing all the wood in the back, and I also want to get as much of the "top rust" off as possible before we throw a new coat of OD on it. Make her like new ASAP.

Question:
Driving it....went relatively well, until for some reason it died on me 3 times within about 5-10 minutes. Two times I was on the gas in 4th or 5th, and the other time the clutch was in. Now in between the 2nd and 3rd time, I felt she was about to die, and I tried pumping the gas, and then I felt the power again. Didnt work a minute or two after that.

- I would love to know if this is something I'm doing moronically on my part, or if its a simple fix somewhere.

I appreciate it in advance, and I have to say, after reading a couple of pages, it is nice to see a forum composed of mature responses. I am active on a few others, and a lurker on a lot more, but this seems like quite the place to go for MV's. Ill try my best to not ask a question which can be found on the other 100 pages of M35 topics...

Thanks!
-Drew

Edit: Pics.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/drewsguns/Deuce/
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/drewsguns/Deuce/Front/
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/drewsguns/Deuce/Rear/
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/drewsguns/Deuce/Interior/
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/drewsguns/Deuce/Rims/

Last edited:

wsucougarx

First off, welcome aboard. Best thing to do to help eliminate some potential problems. Drain your fuel tank completely/clean out/replace w/fresh diesel, change out your fuel filters (3 total), then go from there.

Drew

First off, welcome aboard. Best thing to do to help eliminate some potential problems. Drain your fuel tank completely/clean out/replace w/fresh diesel, change out your fuel filters (3 total), then go from there.
Damn. Should have thought of that before I put 60 bucks of gas into.

Oh and do guys on here have a preference for where they buy their filters and simple maintenance items?

- Drew

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Did you put gas or diesel in it? Some think since they are multifuel they can run 100% gasoline. They CAN run it, but it isn't good for the motor. I agree, pull the drain plug and swap out the filters. There is a parts # cross referance on the old site, it will have napa numbers for you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa numbers for filters Oil, 1133. Primary fuel, 3511. Secondary fuel, 3540. (sub 3512 but won't have correct gaskets). WIX numbers; Oil 51133, primary fuel 33511, secindary fuel, 33540.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome Drew,

Definately sounds like filter issues.

Also an avid airsoft/mil-sim guy (Team Bad Karma). Usually do the "big" games like Lion Claws and alot of smaller games like OP Left Hook and of course the Hatchet Force Challenge since we host it. Even have a rack mounted in my M109 that holds all my airsoft weapons. Good luck with the filters and maybe see you out on the fields somewhere.

Mt Doom Field Owner

Howdy fellow NEW M35A2 owner. I picked up my first one about a week ago as well. I own and operate Mt. Doom Paintball Field and have been trying for the last several months to build interest in the Airsoft /Mil-Sim community in N. Alabama by offering my field to them for games and such but so far still have not gotten much of a response. I am planning on using the deuce to transport players back onto our large scenario field from the Pro Shop. Will fully net the entire back cargo area so no possibility of any falling off or being shot or even being slapped by a tree limb. Many other safety issues to address as per my insurance company and then the trails have to be widened about 3 feet to accomodate this beast. Still... I love this thing! It is so awesome when it roars along and everyone who sees it falls in love with it. It is certainly a conversation piece.
Hope the fuel filters get you going. Mine had a slow leak in a wheel cylinder when I got it and have it scheduled for fix and a general inspection by a knowledgable (
x-grunt) truck mechanic in my area.

Here I am with my new MV...

Attachments

Drew

Wow, already loving this forum.

gimpyrobb: I put 25 gallons of fresh diesel into it

Recovry4x4: I'm looking around for those parts but mainly find forums and ebay references...

Bad_Carp: Awesome man! I had a feeling there would be one or two airsofters on here. I am on The Roughnecks, and have attended LC5-LC8 and also Bulldog. Lionclaws is were I was able to get about 4-5+ Deuce rides. The last one was pretty funny, due to the driver telling the 25+ guys in the back that we could shoot out of it. Didn't work out so well.

Definitely hope to see you out sometime man.

Mt Doom Field Owner: Hey man, I would love to own a large scale air soft field when I have the cash. Damn, just thinking about all the bunkers and bases that could be built at some of the non-used land we play on... The only negative, is like you said, the insurance. I play with my team and some new guys when I use my vehicle in games, but people all know its at your own risk. A lot of grey area, but hey, works so far!

Thanks guys for the welcome, I plan on getting all new filters ASAP. Then I can work on the exterior.

Pics:
Heres two of the beast, the rest are in my first post, where I went all the way around taking pictures of all the rust.

Attachments

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome man! I had a feeling there would be one or two airsofters on here. I am on The Roughnecks, and have attended LC5-LC8 and also Bulldog. Lionclaws is were I was able to get about 4-5+ Deuce rides. The last one was pretty funny, due to the driver telling the 25+ guys in the back that we could shoot out of it. Didn't work out so well.

Definitely hope to see you out sometime man.
LOL, that was my buddy's deuce you were in (I may or may not have been in the passenger seat at the time), I did have my M109 there as well, we were (Bad Karma) camped out at the bottom of the camping area with my 109, my friends deuce, the Rhino, camping trailer, tent and lots of camo netting.

My avitar pic is actually from our campsite at LC8

Snarky

Cool. I'm glad others are using their M35's for similar purposes. I'm on a senario/woodsball paintball team. We play at tactical paintball out of harwood, tx about 3~hours away. We usually camp 2 nights out there during tournaments. We have about 10~ members and the camping gear adds up quickly, the deuce is a recent purchase that should hopefully make hauling it easier.

Attachments

Mt Doom Field Owner

Nice ride Snarky! Like the single back tires (is there a term on Steel Soldiers Forum for this configuration vs. 8 wheels in back?) I'm sure there is. Anyway, I bet your M35 gets a lot of attention when it rolls up to the camping area. We are working like crazy back in the woods to widen the road system from 8 wide' to 10' wide so the deuce can pass without dragging too many trees along. Our deuce may only leave the property two or three times a year for service or parades. Most of it's life will be lived out like a pampered mare gone to pasture.:p

One more question Snarky... did your scenario team contribute collectively as a group towards the purchase of the M35 or did you just buy it cause you loved it and are letting them ride along with you? It would be nothing for a 10 to 20 player group to scratch up enough cash for one of these but I am wondering how you'd manage everyone wanting to borrow it on weekends and such. Just curious. Mt Doom field owner

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard the fora. Airsoft is cool, it teaches one to get the hell off the X, and thats a good thing. And ammo is cheap 8<) Your machine is the same vintage as mine, more or less :
Alex

Attachments

Snarky

Nice ride Snarky! Like the single back tires (is there a term on Steel Soldiers Forum for this configuration vs. 8 wheels in back?) I'm sure there is. Anyway, I bet your M35 gets a lot of attention when it rolls up to the camping area. We are working like crazy back in the woods to widen the road system from 8 wide' to 10' wide so the deuce can pass without dragging too many trees along. Our deuce may only leave the property two or three times a year for service or parades. Most of it's life will be lived out like a pampered mare gone to pasture.:p

One more question Snarky... did your scenario team contribute collectively as a group towards the purchase of the M35 or did you just buy it cause you loved it and are letting them ride along with you? It would be nothing for a 10 to 20 player group to scratch up enough cash for one of these but I am wondering how you'd manage everyone wanting to borrow it on weekends and such. Just curious. Mt Doom field owner
Some people call it a super-singled deuce, the original deuces were designed to be in this configuration I believe, and the M35A3's were converted to 6 wheels only. Mine has the hubs in the back flipped to make the rear tires stick out more and look less funny.

I bought the deuce for me and allow the team to contribute fuel in exchange for cargo space on games. We've already tried the collective ownership thing on a trailer box, and it was annoying. This deuce was relatively inexpensive for it's condition.

Hell a couple of sets of multicam gear would just about pay for a good deuce.

omega231

Napa numbers for filters Oil, 1133. Primary fuel, 3511. Secondary fuel, 3540. (sub 3512 but won't have correct gaskets). WIX numbers; Oil 51133, primary fuel 33511, secindary fuel, 33540.
got 2 quick questions: are the above filters available in napa stores and do they have to be adapted to attach them to the vehicle

Drew

Nice Deuce's guys! Hope to get mine looking... a little less rusty and a little more green. Still looking for a good source on all the filters though.

Carp, well definitely have to set up a large vehicle game!

If any one is interested, there's a kid who films our the games with the 91 Suburban. Now just imagine, the suburban will be on Tan/Desert and the deuce will be on Green/Woodland..

Don't watch these videos expecting the most tactical airsofters, this is an open game with about 100 people, so dont expect much! (My buddy was driving, I'm that tall brown hair kid)

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.