• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New 6x6 owner in central Kansas

Takarst

20170119_163935.jpg (50.3 KB)20170119_163916.jpg (48.8 KB20170119_163814.jpg

First military truck I've bought, and I'm hooked. My plan is to bob it, and put 395's on it. All ready have wheels and tires looking for a bed or bedsides. I'm wanting to keep the winch truck and hide the gin poles down in the bed. Just gonna use it to move small stuff around the house. Has the 331 gas and plan on doing an engine swap to a chevy v8.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most people that bob these put a M105 trailer bed on the back. You could cut out the front of the bed so the winch could remain. Hey if the 6 wheels and tires you are taking off are a waste product to you, put 'em on a pallet and ship to me, I'll pick up the tab.

71DeuceAK

That's pretty rare as it is, just FYI! Looks like a pipeline truck. Not to tell you what to do with YOUR truck, but that could potentially be valuable to a collector as is, and then you could get a regular M35A2 and modify THAT instead. Not sure what kind of $$$ the one above you have is, but it looks rare!

big block 88

Welcome from north east kansas. It would be sad to see a pipeline truck get chopped up but its your truck man so do what makes you happy

It could be considered a collector but money value wise you arent sitting on a gold mine.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That is not a factory pipeline truck. Like I stated in his other thread my guess is it's a heavily hacked up v-17. More pictures or the dataplate would help tell the story.

Welcome from VT! (again)

Flyingvan911

Welcome from Kansas City, MO. Be sure to look up the threads on the KAMO rally held each fall at the D-Day Adventure Park in Wyandotte, OK. It's a blast.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you decide to go ChebyV8, I have a bell housing that will bolt to the trans you have in that truck and a chevy motor. I think I have the correct flywheel too.

Takarst

I'll be sure to look up the rally. I have the transmission and bellhousing out of a 2 ton grain truck allready, but I'm in need of the bigger flywheel.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Leavenworth, KS. That data plate says manufactured in 1952. Sure is a very early M44. I'd also guess it's a hacked up V-17. If it was an original M756 they wouldn't have had to fabricate a bed and headache rack. The winch and location looks original and I'm not aware of another variant with a winch in that spot. Of course they could have just added all of it, but given the data plate says it stared life as just a chassis, I'm sticking with the V-17 guess. Congrats on your purchase, where'd it come from? It's be a shame to hack it up even more, but it is your truck. At least it'll survive in one form or another... if that truck could talk. Keep us posted on your progress!

Takarst

The truck came from a farmer down in newton. He bought it from the city of newton in the mid 90s. Maybe the city workers built it like that? The winch has a tag on it that says it was built in 1954. I've finally gotten to play around with the truck pulling some smaller trees out with it. Sure beats running a shovel. At least the wife was impressed by it!