• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

Elohim1

I bought an alternator from OD Iron and replaced the old one on the drivers side.

Gen 1 light is still on bright.

What can be causing this light to stay on?

Elohim1

Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

Bobert said:
Mine stayed on after I replaced it. Are the any broken or burnt wires between it ant the firewall?
I dont see any broke. The front battery doesnt seem to be charging.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

Did it ever work? (ie since you got the truck?) Or has the light always been on? Can you take a pic of the wiring on the back of your alternator? Also, the drivers side alternator is the one that has the ground strap on it. Is that connected?

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

Check your connections to the alternator. It could be as simple as a loose terminal post on the alternator. I had this happen to mine and it was a fifty cent post that had to be replaced.

Any loose connection will cause a spark and corrode the connection over time. You want to make sure you have tight connections, especially on the posititve sides.

Elohim1

Re: RE: Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

mangus580 said:
Did it ever work? (ie since you got the truck?) Or has the light always been on? Can you take a pic of the wiring on the back of your alternator? Also, the drivers side alternator is the one that has the ground strap on it. Is that connected?
The light has just come on. I will get some pics this weekend. I will check every wire too.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help!! :D

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on ????

there are two fusible links on the 12v buss bar on the firewall, check that they aren't burnt or broken. if they are the battery wont charge and the light will stay on.

Elohim1

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New alternator gen 1 Light still on

CCATLETT1984 said:
there are two fusible links on the 12v buss bar on the firewall, check that they aren't burnt or broken. if they are the battery wont charge and the light will stay on.
Hate to be a dummy, but....
I do not see these fuseable links, do you have a pic to identify ?

cjkeeliii

Had almost the same problem. Turned out to be a grounding issue inside the alternator from when the guy who rebuilt it reassembled it. Also had a member post that I should check the Bosch relays next to the STEICE...STIECE or whatever that acronym is. My GEN 1 light still shines faintly when I turn the heater motor on Medium or High. Hope this helps.

Elohim1

Problem is fixed. :D A wire was burned in half. Looks like the same wire that is posted in the pic. However, mine was red.

Thanks a million fellows. :D

CCATLETT1984

no prob. that is a fusible link, not to be comfused with a wire. the link will burn up like that if too many amps are drawn through it, but it will although short spikes of higher amps unlike a fuse. only replace fusible links with fusible links.

Elohim1

CCATLETT1984 said:
no prob. that is a fusible link, not to be comfused with a wire. the link will burn up like that if too many amps are drawn through it, but it will although short spikes of higher amps unlike a fuse. only replace fusible links with fusible links.
My wire burned or broke right before the fusesable link. By the way where do you get these links?
The parts store did have a 8 gauge wire with a removeable fuse. The fuses available only went down to 20 amps.

The fuseable link (where the wire burned on mine)has a 12 on it. What amp is this?

Mike_Pop

I always carry spare fusable links. Gotta love Chevy and fusable links. Let's create a weak point for no apparent reason! Duh!

Speaking of weak points...whenever I had a Dodge, I made sure I carried a spare ballast resistor.

CCATLETT1984

mike, i wouldnt call a very cheap piece of wire that saves the rest of the wiring harness in case of a short, a weak point. you should be able to get the fusible links at napa. dont get the fuse holders.

Bobert

Hey, it looks like you had the same problem I did. Mine broke right before a fusable link as well. Did your wire break near the diamond shaped junction on the firewall?

I replaced it with a fuse holder. I put 30 amp fuses in and they burned out but I have had 40 amps in for about a week and no problems yet.

I'll probably get a fusable link sometime, but this way my wires won't burn in half.

CCATLETT1984

its not a regular wire, its supposed to do that.

the fusible links allow higher amps for a short amount of time, so in the event you have a high draw when you turn something on, the fusible link will not blow like a fuse would.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks