• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Aluminum FMTV wheels and tires on flea bay

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are typically off scrap mrap Camians and use different studs and lugs due to the thickness of the rim being aluminum.

On m813 and m939 will not work without changing studs. Not sure on fmtv/lmtv.

scottmandu

Is there a difference on the road?
I don't know I've always run the steelies. Some swear by the aluminium wheels. The aluminium wheels are about 50 pounds less and stronger. The Caiman went to aluminium wheels as small IED's would just blow the tire off the wheel, whereas the steel wheel would get blown off the hub.

We installed the alloy rims several months ago, the wheels bolted right up to stock studs, we bought the special lug nuts, the nuts grab the stock studs just fine, with just as many threads as the stock set up even though it does not look like it in the photos. We have had no issues with the wheels, we really cant tell any differance driving our M1079 but I do have run flats installed, now looking back I wish I would not of had run flats as we think bead locks would have been just fine.

Seth

Brutus Tire-2.jpg

BuiltMFG

We installed the alloy rims several months ago, the wheels bolted right up to stock studs, we bought the special lug nuts, the nuts grab the stock studs just fine, with just as many threads as the stock set up even though it does not look like it in the photos. We have had no issues with the wheels, we really cant tell any differance driving our M1079 but I do have run flats installed, now looking back I wish I would not of had run flats as we think bead locks would have been just fine
Seth
View attachment 700261

Where did you get the lug nuts?
Thanks for the reply Seth, I actually sent you an email yesterday about a few of your other upgrades.

Eric

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My opinion but to each his own. YMMV

I do not see any stud poking out of those lug nuts. Not even to the top. From pic looks like a good 5-6 or more threads are exposed with no grip. If it were me, I sure would want the stud fully threaded through the lug nut and coming out some extra exposed length for safety and piece of mind.

Not sure if there are DOT regs on this but for a hd application especially on a steer tire, I would change those studs.

At a bare min, consider running check flags on those nuts.

Last edited:
these lug nuts cover all the stock studs, like I said in my post, these nuts cover all the threads just like stock, the nuts have more surface area so it looks weird, but it is 100 % safe

Seth

My opinion but to each his own. YMMV

I do not see any stud poking out of those lug nuts. Not even to the top. From pic looks like a good 5-6 or more threads are exposed with no grip. If it were me, I sure would want the stud fully threaded through the lug nut and coming out some extra exposed length for safety and piece of mind.

Not sure if there are DOT regs on this but for a hd application especially on a steer tire, I would change those studs.

At a bare min, consider running check flags on those nuts.

tobyS

Check with red...he broke all off on one side rears on his wrecker. We disagree (more like haven't agreed) as to why. My theory is that the rim can slightly rotate and put a bending moment on the stud and it's not a pure shear. And if you look at the nuts, it's not a straight chamfer, it's rounded. Caution for any heavily loaded vehicle. My suggestion (not sure anyone agrees) is to fill the cavity with a spacer that will keep that bending moment from happening...and watch the loading. What size studs do the the MRAP's use?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
these lug nuts cover all the stock studs, like I said in my post, these nuts cover all the threads just like stock, the nuts have more surface area so it looks weird, but it is 100 % safe

Seth
Just because all the stock threads are engaged does not make it safe it the parameters of the width of the rim have changed causing the thread engagement length to increase. Have you ever seen any major HD Class 8 truck not fully engage all the threads of its lug nut and studs?

There are specific engineering standards to determine length engagement of threads to a fastener based on diameter which impact load bearing and torque. All cars and trucks out in the world have at least a min of 2 full turns for the lug nut fastener of stud threads left past the face of a properly torqued lug nut to a rim seat.

There has to be a reason why on the camian they had longer studs and chose to use a different fastener than the fmtv/lmtv trucks.

Think of what happens when that 500lb missile goes airborne at 70mph down the road, just saying as I have stared one in the face and have seen many a truck on the side of the road with a missing steer tire kissing the pavement or lying on their side.

No more from me on this.

good

Just because all the stock threads are engaged does not make it safe it the parameters of the width of the rim have changed causing the thread engagement length to increase. Have you ever seen any major HD Class 8 truck not fully engage all the threads of its lug nut and studs?

There are specific engineering standards to determine length engagement of threads to a fastener based on diameter which impact load bearing and torque. All cars and trucks out in the world have at least a min of 2 full turns for the lug nut fastener of stud threads left past the face of a properly torqued lug nut to a rim seat.

There has to be a reason why on the camian they had longer studs and chose to use a different fastener than the fmtv/lmtv trucks.

Think of what happens when that 500lb missile goes airborne at 70mph down the road, just saying as I have stared one in the face and have seen many a truck on the side of the road with a missing steer tire kissing the pavement or lying on their side.

No more from me on this.

tobyS

Who makes you an authority when at least one member has a wrecker with both wheels ALL of the studs broken off (with these wheels). These type of comments should be left off the public comment board. If you don't like us telling people when we think something is unsafe...go someplace else.

ok cool

Who makes you an authority when at least one member has a wrecker with both wheels ALL of the studs broken off (with these wheels). These type of comments should be left off the public comment board. If you don't like us telling people when we think something is unsafe...go someplace else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks