• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New and need help.

boonedoggy

Hi every one,
I just got my first Deuce and I was wondering if there was any one around me who works on them. I would like to make sure it's mechanicly sound.
If some one is around Marysville, Ohio any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

DieselBob

Welcome to Steel Soldiers. Can't help with local shops but a fellow member, JATONKA, has the manuals available for free download from his site. The most critical item on your truck is the brake system. It is a single circuit style which means if you loose one component you could loose all braking.

JATONKA's M35 TM download page

boonedoggy

Thanks Bob,
As far as tips go, that seems to be the best one I could get. If you have any more tips or if any one else does, I'm sure I can use them. Also, thanks for the manual site.
Boone

Flyingvan911

You will be the main mechanic on your deuce. Read through the Tech Manuals and the deuce posts here on SS. Become an expert on your truck. Hopefully you can find some guys close to you who can help now and then but sometimes you will be on your own.

Most local heavy truck and equipment companies aren't able to work on the deuce. When I took mine to a local Truck repair shop for an inspection they failed me because they couldn't figure out how to turn any of the lights on. Another time they told me I needed to replace my entire fuel pump, when I only needed to replace the in tank pump fuse. They had no Idea there was even one in there. Dont get me wrong they are a smart bunch of guys but the deuce is not something that rolls through their doors very often. Like stated above YOU need to become the expert on your truck, if for no other reason than to educate your repair shop on the proper method of certain repairs that may be out of your hands. But for the most part, expect to be the one who spins the wrenches on your rig. I don't know about you, but personally I wouldn't have it any other way. [thumbzup]

DieselBob

Like Flyingvan911 said "You will be the main mechanic on your deuce". To me the care and feeding of the deuce is as enjoyable as the driving. You only really need basic tools to do most of the repairs and maintenance. There are a few special tools like the 3" socket to remove the wheel bearing nuts and the geared lug wrench to make removing and installing the wheels easier.

boonedoggy

First let me say this the first time I've been on any kind of forum. Personally I like to talk face to face so you know the other persons meaning. I've worked on cars my whole life, any thing from drivers, muscle cars, hot rods to motor cycles. Unfortunately, all the help I've given to my friends over the years has not come back to me when I needed it. I'm no stranger to being alone when it comes to things like this. I just wish I had a barn to work in. I've all ready been under the hood and it seems like it will be a lot easier to work on than a lot of cars I've been under. But like I've said before, I've never touched a diesel and i'm getting older and it's cold out side. To many years of laying in the mud and snow will get to you after a while. I would be a fool not to take advantage of of getting information that would help me move along faster to where I want to be. I know for sure that I'm not going to get help from any service shop because when I asked them about the truck their eyes glazed over and said "We just work on Cats.".
I'm not looking for some one to work on the truck just to tell me if it's running right and shifting the way it should. The guy who had the truck before me didn't look to mechaically inclined and I would like to be sure he didn't do any thing wrong to it. He said he mixed oil with gas to fill the truck which I know you can, but while under the hood it says that the muti-fuel has been disconected. I read some where that you can hurt the engine from just that. If so, where can I look to find out how to hook it back up? Of course the whole reason why I got the truck was for the multi-fuel. The guy also told me to keep my foot floored on the gas to cold start it, does that sound right? Some videos I've seen show guys reaching in and just pushing the button a couple of times and it starts, mine doesn't come close. With a little extra cussing though it seems to start. That's where it's nice to have some one familier with the truck to be there and say yeah that's how it is.
Any way, all I have is an iPhone for computer use which is why I haven't down loaded any thing yet. Does any one know where I could find hard copies? I know, I'm reaching out for that one.
To gimpyrob and oilcan, thanks for the offer I'll take you up on that but I'll probably have to wait till it warms up so you don't have to stand out in the cold looking it over. Besides there's a bad ground on the fuel gauge and temp. Which I think I should find the temp. first before making any trips. Got to have that working at least.
I'm quitting now because it took forever just to type this thing.
Thanks guys,
Boone

emr

call me so we do not type all day if u want 973 219 4499 I can answer more than U will remember but thats how we all start. glad U are an ol: timer, starting her is easy, there may be legible instructions on cold start right on dash, its a multi but a diesel first, run diesel, the bypass means nothing to U, its always a multi, she should start easy, good luck...

oilcan

Wow, I'd have trouble typing that much on a computer, let alone a doggone phone!

I get the point about having an experienced hand there to look things over. The manuals can't duplicate sounds very well. (for example) You'll still need them, and I'd bet you can find a whole set at the next MV show.

Shoot me a pm, and I'll get you my contact info.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's always ebay for manuals. Portrayal press and boyce equipment sells the manuals too.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOGSA has the latest manuals with all the changes. One problem with getting paper manuals from vendors is that if you dont do research and find out what the latest change is to the TM's, you could be getting old info, which usualy doesnt help anything... My manual collection covers the whole M998 series, M44 series (both the old -209 and the -361) , small trailers, engines, trannys, generators, and everything else, all from the -10 to the -34P. All of them are updated with all the latest changes. You can usually find the changes for a few bucks at MV shows or on ebay if you know what your looking for. LOGSA tells you what the latest change is to whatever TM your looking for. Some vendors sell nothing but TM's, and these guys are very helpful to fleshing out your personal TM library.

If nothing else, download them from LOGSA and print out the pages your need.

John Tennis has a very complete listing of them all here availible for download..
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaM35sTMdownloadpage.htm

Last edited:

boonedoggy

Yeah deuceman51, that is a little far for me right now. If I trusted the truck all together at least it would make for a nice scenic drive. Thanks any way.
Hi hndrsonj, thanks for the eBay tip I'll check it out.
Emmado22, I have to say you are well informed. That's the way I like it, I like to have as much info. as I can for what I'm working on. I'll check on the logsa.
Thanks again guys.
I was telling some one else on here about when I was working on some hot rods and how every one has their speed secrets. Every body thinks they have the gold key to the crapper and dosent want to help each other out. Then when you blow their doors they want to know how you did it. What I'm trying to say is that it's nice to find some guys out there that are willing to help a guy out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks