• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New breather

edpdx

I had one of the K&N Filters from my truck lying around- I removed it to sell the truck as stock. It is pretty efficient as it allows more air in in addition to an open-sided type filter that it sat on top of. Besides… it does look cool.

I thought I would just try to figure out how to install it on my M1009 Blazer; but I put the idea on the back burner when I realized there were tandem air filter bolts on the 6.2. The other day I was at the wrecking yard and I found a 6.2 with the same air filter- For some reason the holes on the top cover were all ripped out. What better time to experiment than with parts that would otherwise be useless. Here is what I got:

k&n.jpg Had this lying around. K&N X-Stream

fil1.jpg Donor- notice bolt holes ripped out.

fil2.jpg Donor with rusted center Dremeled out

fil4.jpg Donor top with the X-Stream outer ring dropped-in.

fil5.jpg The X-Stream filter is added.

fil6.jpg After bonding with PC-7 the piece is sanded, degreased and primed with self etching primer.

fil7.jpg A piece of flat aluminum stock was drilled with three holes- two to match existing post- one centered to accept a 1/4-20x3" pan head bolt to thread through new X-Stream filter. Lock-tite and spring keepers to keep hardware from coming loose :shock:

It is all but finished. I have to paint the whole filter (top & bottom) so they match; but the primered cover shows off the finished product better.

I'll see if it breaths better for all the effort. Worse case is no loss of good usable parts as I still have my original cover.

Attachments

edpdx

Noise... hmmm? I was wondering this myself and got to looking at threads that addressed the under hood noise levels. This one by wallew from 2009 shows an open filter housing that is fairly common on gassers. He may have installed the under hood blanket and Fatmat combo to reduce noise from this filter- IDK.

It gave me an idea though, so I am ordering up a decent quality blanket. I already have the 22 pins and the Fatmat. Next decent day I get I gonna give it a go.

I have not had the chance to really run the side-by-side test- stock vs X-Stream mod; but I will and post results before I insulate.

Thanks for the input.

Ed

Jersey4x4

I had one of these on a jeep and I had an issue with water getting in through the top, it would run right through the filter when wheeling and cause all kinds of issues and that was with a low compression engine, I bet the 23:1 diesel likes the water even less. If it is never driven near water then I guess it would be fine. My 1008 always has water laying on the rim of the air filter from splashing up and the fan hitting it and dripping off the under side of the hood.

edpdx

Man don't tell me that. I don't want to think about being in water that deep ever. I am not really a 4x4 guy. I use my truck during hunting and fishing season; but I don't go out of my way to temp providence.

If I have to ford a stream of any kind, I guess I can play it safe and cover the top with foil 'til I get across.

I am not even all that sure that I'll be happy with it yet. If the noise level is negligible after the insulation I plan on laying under the hood, then I'll keep it- unless I don't notice any improvement in breath-ability.... we'll see.

I just think it was a cool way to improve performance- since I had the part lying around.

edpdx

I was able to download a Noise Meter app to my wife's Win7 phone. I ran 16 trials with the stock filter in place and 16 with the X-Stream top in place. The chart shows the crossed out anomalies and the corresponding trial- even though they may have been normal. I did this to eliminate (fairly) all movement or erroneous sounds while conducting the trial ( phone sliding across the surface or my fingernail causing a loud tap as the key was pressed).

Included are the two videos of the tests.

As shown, the X-Stream top produced a louder average over the trial; but only by a half point (decibel?). I could not detect a difference. As long as I have no other problems with water, or the assembly breaking down, I believe I'll run this new set-up

NOTES:
1. these tests were made inside the cab only. All doors and windows closed.
2. Slight sprinkle of rain may have contributed to overall noise levels.
3. The dash cap was removed as I was still buttoning up the in-glass antenna installation
4. I am not a sound expert. H E L L, some experts say I'm not sound.

CLICK to open - three files attached

View attachment filter chart.pdf table

View attachment Stock FilterF.mpg 1st trial with stock filter set-up.

View attachment X-stream filerF.mpg 2nd trial with X-Stream top.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks