• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New but not....YET?

NewbCUCV

I am considering purchasing a M1009 so, I don't have one yet. I'll be searching and lurking around here before I make any decision since THIS seems to be the place for info!!:wink:

Anyways, with what info I've found so far I have some questions:

1) Banks Turbo Kit for the 6.2: I thought only LOW compression engines could be turbo'd. From info from another site it seems that the CR on the 6.2 is something like 21.1??

2) Does it depend on who you buy from as to the general overall condition of the M1009? Like, if I were to buy from a car dealer that picked up a few, would these be in 'general' better and if I bought from a private party?

OR: Are the M1009's, again "Generally" in a pretty good state of health upon retirement? (Sort of like police interceptors - You don't want an officer stranded OR any troops stranded)

3) What is the 'average' MPG from a M1009? That would be normal driving, dry pavement.

I think that's it for now. Like I said, I'll be searching and reading and reading and searching...!!:grin:

fasttruck

The cheapest way to get one is via government liquidation internet action which is where they all originate. Titling cvan take two months, much red tape and delay at gl. No road testing. May have to tow vehicle off military facility you get it from. Condition varies widely from perfect examples like new to total basket cases. Vehicles bought in n0rth east will probably be rusty. Most of thrm were made in 1985-86 so don't expect too much from something that old. Parts are readil;y availab le. Get the pubs (also readily available) to understand such military unique featgures as two batteries and altgernators. Beware of civilian owned examples that show extensive owner made unengineered modifications i.i cutting and hacking.

Scarecrow1

If you want to put the time and sometimes a lot of money into this project you could end up with a work of art ..But note the above mentioned by Fasttruck...These are old and many have been side lined for a while ..Are they worth the time and money... too me yes even if it cost more than the civi model off the lot .....and in good running order ....There's just something about taking the time and effort to bring an old green machine back to life that makes you proud when you look at it ......Mabe because you put a little of you into it .........

NewbCUCV

The cheapest way to get one is via government liquidation internet action which is where they all originate. Titling cvan take two months, much red tape and delay at gl. No road testing. May have to tow vehicle off military facility you get it from. Condition varies widely from perfect examples like new to total basket cases. Vehicles bought in n0rth east will probably be rusty. Most of thrm were made in 1985-86 so don't expect too much from something that old. Parts are readil;y availab le. Get the pubs (also readily available) to understand such military unique featgures as two batteries and altgernators. Beware of civilian owned examples that show extensive owner made unengineered modifications i.i cutting and hacking.

HEH!! I'd REALLY consider getting one JUST for the mpg!! I currently own a 2003 Crown Vic P71. I'm putting 9 gallons in it about every 5 days or so. 28 mile round trip to work, misc travels during the day add up to another 5-10 miles. For a V-8 that's d**n good!

Now, I've done a bit more searching for any 1009's available up to 200 miles from me. I do see one for almost 6k from a dealer.
Do these prices reflect the condition (higher=better) or just a greedy sales lot?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks