• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Coolant Leak

mccullek

I have a strange new coolant leak that I noticed today. There is a puddle of coolant under the transmission area. I crawled under and looked and coolant is leaking from a rusty looking bolt/nut just above the oil filter.

I looked for a disconnected hose but nothing like that I can see. It just looks like a bolt or nut that is rusted out and allowing coolant to leak out maybe?

There are two hoses just above the oil filter and at first I thought it was coming from one of the hoses, but it is just above those hoses. I will try and snap a picture tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I’m looking at here?

Update: I was able to finally get my phone up in there and snap a picture. You can see the rusted out piece, a valve maybe? I guess I need to get out the manuals and see exactly what this rusted out piece is, but if anyone can help, please let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:

mccullek

I have a strange new coolant leak that I noticed today. There is a puddle of coolant under the transmission area. I crawled under and looked and coolant is leaking from a rusty looking bolt/nut just above the oil filter.

I looked for a disconnected hose but nothing like that I can see. It just looks like a bolt or nut that is rusted out and allowing coolant to leak out maybe?

There are two hoses just above the oil filter and at first I thought it was coming from one of the hoses, but it is just above those hoses. I will try and snap a picture tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I’m looking at here?

MK Update: I was able to finally get my phone up in there and snap a picture. You can see the rusted out piece, a valve maybe? I guess I need to get out the manuals and see exactly what this rusted out piece is, but if anyone can help, please let me know.
I found something in the engine manual and it just lists this as a “plug.” It doesn’t show a part number or anything. It looks like a bolt with a 4 sided square head. Anybody had to replace this plug? It looks like it just rusted out. Hopefully I can get it out without it falling apart as pieces crumbled off when I simply touched it with my fingers.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a engine valley drain in that area....maybe its a leak between the 2 heads, and going to that drain .

mccullek

Based on what I’m seeing, it appears to be a 3/8 NPT engine block plug. I found a part number but it doesn’t seem to be readily available. I also found generic plugs available, so I think I can get one, I just hope I can get the old plug out since it is rusted and flaking.

any suggestions on removing it? It’s not exactly easy to get to, but I can get a hand on it.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on what I’m seeing, it appears to be a 3/8 NPT engine block plug. I found a part number but it doesn’t seem to be readily available. I also found generic plugs available, so I think I can get one, I just hope I can get the old plug out since it is rusted and flaking.

any suggestions on removing it? It’s not exactly easy to get to, but I can get a hand on it.
I think you are looking at the drain for the valley....... anything in that area???????? Pour some water in and watch it???? It gets in during the rain.

mccullek

I think you are looking at the drain for the valley....... anything in that area???????? Pour some water in and watch it???? It gets in during the rain.
It has a plug in it, but it is rusted out and coolant is dripping from it, and the engine parts list does show a 3/8 block plug in that area. I’m going to crawl under this morning and see if I can get the rusted out plug out. I have a brass plug that will fit it based on the parts list. Supposedly it is a 3/8 NPT plug. I’m f I can get the old one out, I can figure it out I think. The old plug just crumbles when I touch it, so hopefully it won’t be too hard to remove the rest of it.

I will come back and update the thread once I figure it out.

mccullek

Here is a little better picture. There is the remains of something threaded into the hole. I can feel the threads on what is left, but there is no head any longer as all of that crumbled to pieces when I touched it.

Now I’m concerned if it is supposed to be open and is a drain plug or if I need to put a plug back in. I’m not sure I can get what’s left out just yet either?

I believe it is part 15, but not certain? See my two attached images.

Attachments

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a little better picture. There is the remains of something threaded into the hole. I can feel the threads on what is left, but there is no head any longer as all of that crumbled to pieces when I touched it.

Now I’m concerned if it is supposed to be open and is a drain plug or if I need to put a plug back in. I’m not sure I can get what’s left out just yet either?

I believe it is part 15, but not certain? See my two attached images.
I still believe that's the valley drain................. I COULD BE WRONG....... look at the back of the valley and you will find another hole if it hasn't been plugged, rebuilds I believe get plugged. Are you positive its coolant???? If the valley is dry and it continues to leak you are right.......and you have bigger problems....................

mccullek

I’ve driven around a few miles and got the operating temperature up to 220, and not a single drip now, so maybe it is a valley drain after all. I had forgotten that I had changed out my therostatic control valve and when I did, I lost some coolant that spewed all over the engine bay for about 3 seconds, so that may be why it had coolant in it.

I’m gonna do nothing for now and watch it for a bit and see what happens. Regardless, it appears to be a minor fix even if it does need a plug in it. Getting the old piece out will be the hardest part.

If anyone sees this thread and knows for certain what Im looking at it here, please let me know.

Reactions: OBX

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well glad you found out it seems to be a non issue. I'm sure that type of thing would get your blood pressure up as I know mine would.

Mark

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am with TM, that is the valley drain, the plug shown in the diagram is just forward of the drain, in stead of coolant you may have just had water in the valley

mccullek

I’m leaning to the drain now as well. No rain in last two days and once I cleaned all the gunk off the hole it finally drained out and stopped. I drove it a few times yesterday, and no more drips so far.

I’m thinking maybe someone screwed a hollow piece of pipe in there and over time it had gotten clogged. What I thought was a rusted plug head was a clog that built up over time keeping it from draining well.

I will keep an eye on it and follow up if anything changes. So far, no more drips.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It IS a piece of pipe it goes from the valley down in front of the flywheel and out the side of the block.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see it has a flattened area, very common to plug up, If you are unlucky enough to have a rebuilt Melton engine they permanently plugged this drain.
It is actually called a fuel drain tube, it is there in case the IP starts to leak so the valley does not fill up with diesel.

Attachments

mccullek

As you can see it has a flattened area, very common to plug up, If you are unlucky enough to have a rebuilt Melton engine they permanently plugged this drain.
It is actually called a fuel drain tube, it is there in case the IP starts to leak so the valley does not fill up with diesel.
Thanks for this additional information. It all makes sense now. I was really concerned I had a coolant leak from a rusted engine block plug.

mccullek

Here is a picture of the tube installed, you can see it had to be flattened out to clear the flywheel.
You can’t see exactly where that comes out, but it looks to be the right location of my leak. I think this solves my problem! Thanks for the image!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks