• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New CUCV Owner

sreidmx

Hey Guys,

I just acquired a m1009 from a good friend. It has 58k miles and is in OK shape.. Missing some stuff but overall not terrible condition.
I talked to the DMV about registering it and I got all the forms to do this. I guess I dont need the SF97 and a bill of sale + statement of facts will get the dmv what they want. I was wondering how they know its Smog exempt? Besides the sticker on the core support and the J vin code motor what else is stopping them from asking for a smog inspection? I have another friend with an m1009 and hes never had to smog his, does it happen to have the luxury of being old enough and diesel in ca that its automatically exempt?

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Make sure you read all the stickies. They will cover a majority of your questions about the truck.

The trucks are 30 years old. CA may not require smog test on that old of truck. Check with a Smog station and see when the cutoff is.

CA's rules change all the time. If you drive a diesel you had better stay on top of the requirements.

markg

So in ca do you get a title back with just a bill of sale? can you register it for road use? i like the left rear wheel in the picture from an 88 up 16" gm 4x4 . hope you have one on the other side to match because of the locking diff in the rear.

sreidmx

I have been looking this over and I have some questions, I am thinking there are some missing parts but not knowing anything about these I need some help.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393114920.278362.jpg. Do some relays go here?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393114946.994403.jpg is there some module that goes here?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393114972.779041.jpg same story here looks like a round relay goes here..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393114999.647929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393115010.197972.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393115046.550367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393115067.967792.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393115117.003634.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393115133.804686.jpg

sreidmx

Well I figured out the glow plug card is missing... Dang it.. The wiring to the resistor from the batteries is cut no big deal here.. But I still don't know what the misc wiring by the ste ice connector are..

cpf240

Well I figured out the glow plug card is missing... Dang it.. The wiring to the resistor from the batteries is cut no big deal here.. But I still don't know what the misc wiring by the ste ice connector are..
Starter relay, GEN2 relay, Voltmeter relay - for the starter relay, look up the Doghead mod

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You said he was a good friend? It looks like you may have bought yourself a parts truck with all the parts missing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good friend. As directed, look up the doghead relay mod and fix that area of concern. That and insluating some of the alt wires may get you to a place where you can try to start it. You can rig a temporary glow plug manual button to try to get her lit off. If it does run then you can try to scare up all the other stuff.

forest522

Well sir, looks like quite a project. With the exception of the brake issue, you may just be facing some missing parts that can be picked up at your local store. As you will find in the sticky sections, much of the wiring and relay issues you are missing you'd be better off replacing anyway. Glow Plug cards are available, no sweat. They work well once you've done your homework in the stickies.

Time spent locating the grounds and assuring they are clean and tight is very important. Again, the stickies are your friend brother. Welcome to the forum!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks