• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce, no power, no black smoke

stretch525

I am a first time MV owner and need a little help. I just picked up my first M35A2, after checking all fluids, threw in a new set of batteries and she fired up in less than 5 seconds. I must comment that it had about a 1/4 tank of fuel that smelled like 50 year old oil base paint. I added 15 gal of fresh diesel and headed home from San Antonio to Corpus Christi. The normally 2 hour deive took 5 hours. Max speed was 55 on the down side of an overpass, 37 mph going up an overpass, and max cruise around 45-50 depending on the wind. After getting home, I totally cleaned the fuel system from tank to injector pump, It was NASTY. After cleaning I noticed that no mater how hard I push it, there is nerver any black smoke. I also noticed that there seems to be little throtle response after about half way on the accelerator. I would like to learn more about the injection and governor system but I have not been able to find any info. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
Stretch

Heavysteven

Changed the three fuel filters yet? If so you can do a search on how to turn up the fuel.

I have seen posts of engine failure occurring a 55 mph. I would keep it at 45-50.

stretch525

Replaced all 3 filters, 50 mph is fine, but 37 up a very small incline does not seem right. Am I correct in thinking that these vehicles blow alot of black smoke (exsesive fuel) when loaded down?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I correct in thinking that these vehicles blow alot of black smoke (exsesive fuel) when loaded down?
It all depends on how much the fuel is turned up. Do a search on "turning up fuel" and play with the fuel setting a little. You need to have a pyro installed before you mess with the fuel setting though.

ENCS_DEI

When the fuel pump is set properly there should be little to no smoke even when stomped on. The speeds seem to be only about 5 MPH slow across the board. Climbing hills in 5th gear even slight ones tend to drag the truck down (remember only about 130 HP). Since you have already changed the fuel filters I would check there is full travel of the fuel linkage, first visually with engine secured ensure linkage is hitting high speed limit screw, then with engine running, truck in neutral (no-load), depress throttle engine should reach 2850-2900 rpm, if it does not it may be the high speed limit adjusting screw is incorrectly set. You may have injection pump problems. The engine may be getting tired. Also if the engine is reaching 2600 RPM you are going 56 MPH don't overlook the fact that your speedometer may be out of calibration.

V/r Russ

stretch525

Thanks to all for quick responses. Definitely hard up against stop screw with probably a 1/2 inch of spring tension. Speedometer matches GPS, 56@2600, will check max RPM in neutral. Where can I learn more about setting injection pump and governor? What are those 2 canister looking things under the cover on top of the engine?
thanks
stertch

Westex

Thanks to all for quick responses. Definitely hard up against stop screw with probably a 1/2 inch of spring tension. Speedometer matches GPS, 56@2600, will check max RPM in neutral. Where can I learn more about setting injection pump and governor? What are those 2 canister looking things under the cover on top of the engine?
thanks
stertch
If you're talking about the cylindrical thing under the metal cover on the passenger side of the engine, that would be the flame heater, used for cold start conditions. Utterly worthless to you if the truck is not going to venture much outside Corpus.

I second Heavy Steven: running these trucks at 55 mph is inviting trouble; at least running it at 2600 rpm is. If you want to spend some money, you could take it to Diesel Injection right there in Corpus and they could pop test your injectors and turn up within spec and maybe adjust your pump for small $. If they have to take the pump off of the truck, look out, big $.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced all 3 filters, 50 mph is fine, but 37 up a very small incline does not seem right. Am I correct in thinking that these vehicles blow alot of black smoke (exsesive fuel) when loaded down?
Mine used to be like that. It was turned way down.. by Toole! So, get an EGT guage and you can adjust the fuel. But that is for after you have dome everything else that needs doing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks